Contact Us

Recent site activity

Home‎ > ‎Ancestor Indexes‎ > ‎Places of Worship‎ > ‎

Bayham

Elgin County

 

Places of Worship

 

Records Inventory

       

Bayham Township

 

Elgin County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society

 

 

Published 2006

 

 

 

Churches in Bayham Township

(Click on Church name for picture)

 

Trinity Anglican, Port Burwell

St. Luke’s Anglican, Vienna

First Baptist, Estherville

Port Burwell Baptist

Calton Baptist

Eden Baptist

Richmond Baptist

Otter Valley Baptist

Vienna Baptist

Moss (Benson) Methodist

Richmond United

Maple Grove Methodist

Straffordville United

St. Paul’s United, Port Burwell

Free Methodist, Port Burwell

North Bayham United

Corinth United

North Hall United

Episcopal Methodist, Vienna

Vienna United

New Connection Methodist

Christian Brethren, Corinth

Straffordville Episcopal Methodist

Straffordville New Connection Methodist

Eden Methodist

Nelles Corners Methodist

Free Presbyterian

Free Presbyterian, Port Burwell

Vienna Catholic

St. Joseph’s Catholic

Quaker

United Brethren

Plymouth Brethren

Corinth Plymouth Brethren

Gospel Hall, Calton

Corinth Community of Christ

Corinth Mennonite

Mission Baptist

Straffordville Mennonite

Calton Mennonite

Straffordville Gospel Hall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Anglican (Church of England)

 

Name of Church:      Trinity Anglican, Port Burwell

 

Location:                    25 Pitt Street, Port Burwell (519) 874-4106

 

Date of Formation:    1836

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Richmond (1850)

                                   Vienna (1948)

                                    The North Shore Parish (St. John’s, St. William’s, Trinity, St. Luke’s)

                            (Present)

 

Records:                     The following records are available on microfilm (#201) at the Elgin County Archives  for the Anglican Parishes of Port Burwell and Vienna:

 

Baptisms (1842-1863); (1867-1877); (1879-1929)

Marriages (1843-1857); (1858-1910); (1867-1933); (1878-1917); (1896-1922); (1922-1941)

Burials (1843-1867); (1878-1921); (1922-1929)

Confirmations (1845-1851); (1879-1927)

List of Families (ca 1879)

 

The Huron Diocese Archives also lists these records as part of their collection:

 

Parish Register (1842-1941)

Service Register (1878-1926)

Vestry Records (1843-1952)

 

History:                       Trinity Anglican Church in Port Burwell owes its origin to Mahlon Burwell of Port Talbot, who donated the land and built the church and rectory at his own cost. The church was completed in 1836, and the first sermon was preached by Archdeacon John Strachan on May 22. Mahlon Burwell deeded the property (five acres in lot 12, concession 1) to the Diocese on Feb. 18, 1840.  A cemetery was also established, with the earliest date on a stone being 1839, although earlier burials were believed

to have taken place.  Trinity church is the oldest surviving building in Port Burwell.  Services in the church were irregular after its opening in 1836, being conducted by visiting ministers.  The rectory stood empty until 1842 until the arrival of Rev. Thomas Boulton Read, the first resident rector.  There was still much work to be done on the church, including plastering the interior, building a gallery and adding rented pews.  Even by 1848, the outside was not painted and was only half filled with pews.  By the turn of the century, the church was beginning to show signs of its age, so in 1909 extensive repair and renovation took place.  New pews and windows were installed, the plastering repaired and the roof was shingled. In 1967, the church was selected for designation as an historic site by the government and a plaque was unveiled on July 21.  The church building received substantial damage during a blizzard on January 26, 1978.  The main damage done to the church was to the spire which had to be repaired and replaced by a crane.

 

Further history:         -“Trinity Church, Port Burwell, 1836-1936, Celebrating Its Centenary”

(Elgin OGS has a copy)

                                    - “Memories - A History of Port Burwell”, by Frank Prothero, 1986

 

Ministers:                  

 


Rev. Thomas Boulton Read, 1842-1853

Rev. H. Bate Jessop, 1854-1865

Rev. J. Schulte, 1869-1878

Rev. G. W. Wye, 1878-1886

Rev. A. D. Dewdney, 1886-1888

Rev. C. W. Ball, 1889-1893

Rev. W. Murton Shore, 1894-1903

Rev. William Hinde, 1904-1906

Rev. R. H. Fairburn, 1907-1908

Rev. James M. Horton, 1908-1909

Rev. T. J. Charlton, 1910-1911

Rev. J. E. Lindsay, 1912-1914

Rev. E. H. Croly, 1914-1919

Rev. L. W. Diehl, 1919-1929

Rev. J. H. Kerr, 1929-1933

Canon F. W. James, 1933-1940's

Rev. Dillistone, 1940's

Rev. R. G. Glass, 1950

Rev. John Graham

Bishop William J. Hughes, 1970-1976

Rev. F. J. Pitts, 1976-


Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Anglican (Church of England)

 

Name of Church:      St. Luke’s, Vienna

 

Location:                    13 Edison Drive (formerly Main Street), Vienna

 

Date of Formation:    1835

 

Date of Closing:         still active in 2005

 

                                    Affiliations:                Trinity Anglican Church, Port Burwell                      

                                   The North Shore Parish (St. John’s, St. William’s, Trinity, St. Luke’s)

                                    (Present)

 

Records:                     see listing for Trinity Anglican Church, Port Burwell

The Huron Diocese Archives also lists these records for St. Luke’s church:

 

Service Register (1878-1955)

Vestry records (1857-1911)

 

History:                       The congregation at Vienna was established as early as 1834, where services were held in a school house which was built in the early 1830's. It was situated on the north side of the Plank Road (Highway 19), on the east bank of the creek.  It was reported to the Diocese in 1837 that the congregations at Port Burwell and Vienna were sufficient to occupy the time and attention of a rector. The congregation was officially formed in 1844 and a church was built in 1845 which was destroyed by fire in 1860. Services were held in the Town Hall until the brick church on Main Street was erected in 1860.  St. Luke’s Cemetery is located at Lot 16, Concession 3, north of the village of Vienna on Highway 19 (Plank Road). Because of declining attendance, meetings were held in the fall of 2005 to discuss the future of the church (Aylmer Express, 13 July 2005).  No decision as to the closing of the church was available at the time this publication was compiled.

 

Ministers:                   see Trinity Anglican Church, Port Burwell

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Estherville Baptist Church (also known as Old Port Burwell Baptist and First Baptist     Church)

later Port Burwell Baptist church (Wellington St., Port Burwell)

 

Location:                    Lot 12, Concession 2 (near intersection of Con 1 and Highway 19)

 

Date of Formation:    1819

 

Date of Closing:         1865 (rebuilt in Port Burwell)

 

Affiliations:                Bayham

                                    Malahide - Jubliee Lakeview 1842

                                                    Yarmouth

 

Records:                     The Canadian Baptist Archives lists the following records in their collection for First Baptist Church, more recently Port Burwell:

 

Minute Books (1819-1872); (1873-1920)

Membership Lists (1826-1972)

Cemetery Records (to 1926)

 

The Minute Books (1819-1872) are also on LDS film # 0804351, item 3, on indefinite loan at the London & St. Thomas LDS Family History Centre.

 

History:                       The first Baptist congregation in this district was organized in 1819.  The early Port Burwell Baptist church was erected on the east side of the Otter Creek, near what is now the intersection of the First Concession and Highway 19.  It was here that Joseph Merrill donated three and a quarter acres of land at the southeast corner of Lot 12, Concession 2 to the Trustees of the church for a site and a cemetery.  The deed was registered July 4, 1835.  (Estherville Cemetery).  At that time it was known as the Bayham Baptist Church, since it was the first Baptist congregation organized in the township.  Alexander Saxton was the master builder, and James Hatch was the decorator.  It was a large church with a gallery on three sides, capable of seating four or five hundred people, and was said to have been one of the finest Baptist Churches west of Toronto in its day.  Elder Joseph Merrill was the first pastor and continued his leadership until his death in October 1842. In 1829, membership was eighty, but had grown to 209 by 1842.

In 1865 the church building was torn down and rebuilt on a somewhat smaller scale at its present location in the village of Port Burwell on Wellington Street. It was opened and dedicated on December 17, 1865

 

Ministers:                   see Port Burwell Baptist Church

 

                        ________________________________________________________

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Port Burwell Baptist Church (formerly First Bayham Baptist Church)

 

Location:                    Wellington Street, Port Burwell

 

Date of Formation:    1865 [continuation of First Bayham Church]

 

Date of Closing:         1969

 

Affiliations:                Estherville

 

Records:                     The Canadian Baptist Archives lists the following records for this church in their collection:

 

Minute Books (1819 - 1872); (1873 - 1920); (1921-1938); (1938-1954); 1955 - 1966)

Membership List (1826 - 1971)

Cemetery Records (to 1926)

 

The Minute Book (1819-1872) is also found on LDS microfilm number 0804351, item 3, and is on permanent loan at the St. Thomas LDS Family History Centre.

 

 

History:                       The Baptist church at Port Burwell began in 1865 when the First Baptist church at Estherville was closed and rebuilt in Port Burwell, using some of the materials from the old church.  The new building was dedicated on December 17, 1865.  After a long and successful history, membership had been declining in the 1960's, and after celebrating the congregation’s 150th anniversary in 1969, no further ministers were secured and the church was closed.  The church sat vacant for a number of years, and when attempts by the Village of Port Burwell to purchase the building and convert it into a Marine Museum failed, the church was demolished in 1986.

 

Further history:         “Memories - A History of Port Burwell”, Frank Prothero, 1986

 

Ministers:                  

 


Joseph Merrill, 1819-1842

Rev. Delap

Rev. McDormand

Rev. Gostellow

Rev. Thomas

Rev. H. P. Fitch

Rev. Martell

Rev. Griffin

Rev. Iler

Rev. Freshner

Rev. Irvine

Rev. Marshall

Rev. Grant

Rev. P. R. Carsey

Rev. J. Harry King, 1900

Rev. E. J. Stobo

Rev. E. C. McLeod

Rev. Albert Hughes

Rev. L. H. Vail

Rev. Andrew Smith

Rev. John Marshall

Rev. A. J. Fanjoy

Rev. A. J. Schultz

Rev. George N. Simmons

Rev. Butcher

Rev. John Curtis

Rev. George Downing

Rev. C. K. Dolby

Rev. William Harkins

Rev. James Mair [to 1969]                 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Calton (also known as Malahide Union Chapel)

 

Location:                    Lot 1, Concession 4 (6780 Richmond Road)

 

Date of Formation:    1855

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Richmond; Berean

 

Records:                     Minute Book (1855 - 1892); (1894-1905); includes membership list (at Baptist Archives)

 

Also on LDS film # 0886755, item 6, at the London & St. Thomas LDS Family History Centres.

 

History:                       Calton Baptist church was founded largely by  settlers who came from Nova Scotia. Elder McDorman was the first Baptist preacher conducting a special mission in this settlement, holding services for several weeks in the schoolhouse.  Through the efforts of Deacon Timpany, a church was organized on March 14, 1855 with eighteen members requesting letters of dismissal from the Regular Baptist Churches of Malahide Jubiliee and First Bayham, in order to form their own congregation at Calton. In April, they organized themselves in to a church. In August 1856, the church met in its new chapel for dedication services.  The first church was erected on land given by Deacon Timpany and was known as Malahide Union Chapel, and was open to evangelical services of other denominations. A new brick church was erected and opened in 1887 north of the corners in Calton on the east side, and the church was re-named Calton Baptist.

A deed exists, dated Jan. 13, 1887, between Joseph Cartwright and Albert Cohoon, George C. Truman, David L. Augustine, George Spence, James P. Vanvelzor & William B. McConnell, Trustees, for 14 acres - part of the south half of lot 1, concession 4.  This no doubt refers to the new church building, and perhaps additional land for the cemetery. Membership in the church by this time had risen to about 100.  The new church featured a gallery across one end and also a large, well-equipped basement for Sunday School.

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Eden Baptist Church (Second Regular Baptist Church)

 

                                    Location:                    56927 Eden Line                   

                                    (519) 866-3686; mailing address: P.O. Box 10, Eden, ON N0J 1H0

 

Date of Formation:    1848

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Goshen (Courtland)

Corinth

North and South Middleton

North Bayham

                                    Malahide

 

Records:                     The Canadian Baptist Archives shows the following records for this church in their holdings:

 

Minute Books (1848 - 1887); (1893 - 1930)

Marriage Register (1858 - 1873); (1897 - 1920)

 

The Minute Books (1848-1887) are also on LDS film #0804338, item 9, and is on permanent loan at the St. Thomas LDS Family History Centre.

 

History:                       The church at Eden was organized at the 2nd Regular Baptist Church of Christ in Bayham, by 17 members from the church in Goshen, dismissed by letter for that purpose.  Early meetings were held in a log school house near the old cemetery on Ridge Road, south of Eden. Between 1853 and 1855, the Goshen church closed, and the members were taken into the Eden church.  Also during this period, a chapel was built about ½ mile east of Eden. In 1856, twelve members asked for letters of dismissal to re-organize the Goshen church.  In 1859, 22 members asked for letters of dismissal to organize an independent church; the request was granted and the organization took place in 1860. In 1875, the chapel was moved to Eden and a parsonage was built on the present site, which was donated by Edwin Gray; also three acres of land adjoining the church property was given for a cemetery. The church was raised up and bricked  about 1890.  A new baptistry was installed in 1916, and alterations were made to the front of the church.  The choir loft was lowered to the same level as the platform.

 

Further history:         “Hundredth Anniversary of Eden Baptist Church 1848-1948" (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

Ministers:                  

 

Elder Baker, 1848

Simeon Rouse, 1849-1853

H. A. Conrad, 1853-1855

Rev. William Crossett, 1855-1856

B. P. Brown, 1856-1861

Rev. Samuel Baker, 1861-1865

Rev. R. B. Smith, 1865-1870

Rev. S. Jackson, 1870-1872

Rev. R. B. Smith, 1873-1876

Rev. C. W. Haycock, 1876-1878

Rev. Charles Harrington, 1879-1881

Rev. S. Cripps, 1882-1889

Rev. E. D. Sherman, 1889-1893

Rev. J. B. Brown, 1893-1896

Rev. W. E. Mason, 1896-1897

Rev. Cuthbert, 1897-1900

Rev. R. Weaver, 1900-1901

Rev. J. W. Silcox, 1902-1911

Rev. H. D. Moore, 1912-1919

Rev. R. E. Jones, 1919-1922

Rev. R. J. McLaren, 1922-1926

Rev. S. France, 1926-1930

Rev. H. D. Moore, 1931-1939

Rev. Horace West, 1939-1941

Rev. Frank Humphreys, 1941-1946

Rev. John Mildon, 1947-

[ministers’ names to present not available]

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Richmond Baptist (named Malahide-Bayham Church in 1860)

 

Location:                    Richmond

 

Date of Formation:    1855

 

Date of Closing:         1964

 

Affiliations:                Calton

Berean

Malahide-Bayham Church

 

Records:                     The Canadian Baptist Archives shows the following records for this church in their collection:

 

Minute Book (1855 - 1897 on microfilm)

Minute Book (1898 - 1934 very fragile); (1935-1958); (1959-1964)

Membership List (1902 - 1961)

Church Treasurer’s records (1923-1964)

Church Membership Roll & Office Bearers (1855-1964)

Women’s Association & Mission Band, Women’s Mission Circle Minute Books (1886-1963)

B.Y.P.U. Minute book (1935-1951)

Sunday School Attendance Record (1944-1963)

Church Clerk Correspondence (1901-1930)

Reports to Association (1905-1936)

 

Elgin OGS has a copy of a Membership List (1855-1901)

 

“Members of the Regular Baptist Church, Bayham, 1855-1899" is found printed in The Ontario Register, Vol. 4, No. 1 (1977), pages 41 to 49. (In addition to the membership roll, baptisms and deaths are listed

 

History:                       This church was a Regular Baptist congregation, and was organized on June 21, 1855 by a group of 35 former members of the Malahide Regular Baptist Church at Aylmer.  The church was located on the north side of Talbot Street near the cemetery. The church was closed in 1964.

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Otter Valley (McCurdy)

 

Location:                    Lot 22, Concession 2 (east of Vienna)

 

Date of Formation:    ca 1838

 

Date of Closing:         1938

 

Affiliations:                Port Burwell circuit (ca 1901), including the McCurdy Church, North Road Church, and 2nd Houghton Church

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       church town down in 1938 after about 100 years of use (photo in Otter Valley Conservation Report 1957) Elgin OGS has a photocopy of photo

 

The church was used as a Union Church prior to becoming a Baptist church in 1874

 

                        ____________________________________________________________

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      not stated

 

Location:                    Vienna

 

Date of Formation:    early 1830's

 

                                    Date of Closing:

 

Affiliations:                Malahide Circuit (1846)

Port Burwell, Straffordville (1849)

 

Records:                     no known records

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist

 

Name of Church:      Moss’ Church (also known as Benson Chapel)

                                   

Location:                    Lot 1, Concession 10

 

Date of Formation:    1849

 

Date of Closing:         ca 1880

 

Affiliations:                Malahide “Aylmer” circuit (including Straffordville & Vienna)

                                    Brownsville Circuit

 

            Records:                     see above affiliated circuits

 

History:                       The Moss Church was one of two Methodist Churches in Corinth. This church, also known as the Benson Chapel, was located at the west end of the 10th concession, on the north side of the road. It was a Wesleyan Methodist congregation.  There is no record of when the church was built, but it is known that ministers in the church in 1850 were Samuel Phelps and John English.  In 1851 ministers were George Kennedy and Thomas Peacock.  This congregation purchased land from Thomas Firby in 1855 for the Firby Cemetery, which actually has burials dating back to 1850.

Trustees of the Benson Chapel in 1855 were Hiram Moss, Joseph Firby, George Silverthorne, William Kipp Jr., John Medcalfe, Samuel McKenney and Thomas Cascadden.  It is presumed that this church closed in 1884 when the Methodist Church of Canada was formed by the union of Primitive Methodist, Episcopal Methodist  and Bible Christian churches. It may have closed a few years earlier, in 1880, when a new Methodist church was built at Corinth. After the Moss Church was closed, it was moved south and became part of the cheese factory north of the Firby cemetery, being used for the manufacturing room.  When the cheese factory was no longer used, it was torn down by a carpenter from Brownsville.

Many names of persons contributing to the missionary fund were kept over the years.  In 1875, many of the names that had been on the list at the

Benson Chapel were listed on the Corinth list.  Corinth at this time was on the Brownsville circuit, including Brownsville, Delmer, Bayham, Dereham and Culloden.

 

The deed for the church property bears the date of May 8, 1859, between Daniel Moss and the Trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, for property in lot 1, concession 10.  The deed involving the purchase of land in lot 1, concession 8  for the Firby cemetery found is dated July 19, 1855 between Thomas Firby and the Trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist church, Benson Chapel. Another deed is dated March 12, 1864 between Casper Best and the Trustees of the Moss Congregation of the Wesleyan Methodist church, for one acre in the southwest part of lot 8, concession 10.  This is also the location of the Best cemetery.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      Richmond United Church

 

Location:                    53895 Church Street, Richmond [Lot 111, South side Talbot Road]

                                                       

 

Date of Formation:    1840

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Malahide Circuit (1840-1852)

Aylmer Circuit (1853-56)

Bayham Circuit (1857-1866)

Dereham (N. Oxford) (1867- 1868)

Vienna, Brownsville & Tillsonburg (1871-1873)

Straffordville (1875 - 1876)

Springfield (1881 - 1885)

Brownsville (1892-1894)

Richmond-Corinth Pastoral Charge (1897-61)

Malahide Pastoral Charge (1964- present)

 

Records:                     The United Church Archives lists the following records for the Richmond-Corinth Pastoral Charge (includes Richmond Methodist Circuit, Summers Corners, Fairview, North Bayham, North Hall); 1915 - 1967:

 

Baptism/burial register (1935 - 1946)

Marriage register (1929 - 1954)

Membership records (circuit register) (1915 - 1934)

Historic Roll (1935 - 1967)

Official Board Minutes (1915 - 1942)

 

The United Church Archives lists the following records pertaining specifically to Richmond United Church (1956-1973):

 

Board and Committee Minutes (1983-1988)

Congregational Minutes (1956 - 1973)

Women’s Missionary Society minutes (1934 - 1941); (1942 - 1950); (1959 - 1961); (1965 - 1971)

 

 

History:                       This Wesleyan Methodist congregation had its origin as early as 1840 when services were held in the Richmond school, being attached to the Malahide Circuit.  In a deed dated March 21,  1850, Caleb and Melinda Cook of Bayham, donated property to the Trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist Church: Thomas Godwin Sr., Thomas Godwin Jr., William Medcalf, William Bowes, David W. Hatch, William Hatch, and George Procunier, for property in lot 111, South Talbot Road.  A white cottage chapel was built.  Another deed, dated April 15, 1862 for 1/5 acre in the same lot, exists between George Procunier and the church trustees, probably for additional land adjoining the existing church property. In December 1904, shortly after the close of the evening service, the church was destroyed by fire.  Cornerstones for a new church were laid in 1905 and on July 29, 1906, the church was opened and dedicated.  In 1964 the former Fairview United Church was moved and attached to the Richmond United Church and was dedicated in 1965 as Fairview Christian Education Building.

 

Ministers:

 


Thomas Fawcett, 1840

Luther O. Rice, 1841

John K. Williston, 1842

Bewley Hayland, 1844

Thomas Jeffers, 1845

Joseph Shepley, 1847

S. C. Phillip & John English, 1849

George Kennedy & Thomas Peacock, 1851

John Shaw, 1852

George Kennedy, 1853

Francis Berry, 1854

Ozias Barber, 1856

Brinton P. Brown, 1857

Philip Rose, 1860

Henry Reid, 1861

Thomas Crews, 1863

W. F. Morrison, 1866

W. F. Morrison & James Mose, 1867

Jonathan Betts, 1868

Richard Rigsby

E. A. Chown

W. C. Watson, 1871

W. H. Cairnduff

George Ferguson, 1873

John Elliott, 1875

W. T. Turner, 1876

R. D. Hamilton, 1881

W. G. Brown, T. R. McNair, 1885

John Veale, 1892

G. M. Hazen

A. H. Brown

G. H. McAllister, 1894

Orvillle Alexander

James Snell

L. W. Reid & Mr. Madden, 1897

A. E. Lloyd, 1902

R. A. Miller, 1907

John Hart, 1910

James Elford, 1911

M. C. Parr, 1915

C. R. Gower, 1917

T. C. Wilkinson, 1918

J. P. Cooke, 1919

L. C. Harvey, 1920

C. H. Dickenson, 1921

Hugh C. Wilson, 1922

Clayton Searle, 1924

Frank A. Gilbert, 1925

A. D. Boa, 1926

M. P. Smith, 1929

R. E. Southcott, 1931

C. W. Leslie, 1934

James Blair

G. W. Down

Aubrey Edworthy, 1936

J. L. Foster, 1940

H. E. Wright, 1941

J. N. Gould, 1947

A. M. Manson, 1955

Dwight E. Hinton, 1953

F. Earl Norton

K. B. Passmore, 1961

H. Stanley Royle, 1962-1966

Rev. Charles K. Forrest, 1966-1971

Rev. Robert W. Scott, 1975-1979

Mr. Norman Hare, 1979-1993

Rev. Frances Williams, 1993-1998

Rev. Kelvin Toffelmire, 1998-2005


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist (Wesleyan)

 

Name of Church:      Maple Grove

 

Location:                    Hatch’s School

 

                                    Date of Formation:

 

Date of Closing:         after 1877

 

Affiliations:                Malahide Circuit (1850's)

 

Records:                     The United Church Archives lists a circuit register of the Tillsonburg Wesleyan Methodist Circuit (including Tillsonburg, Culloden, Richmond, Brownsville, Dereham Centre & Hatch’s Chapel in Bayham), 1860-1871.  Also listed under Tillsonburg are Trustee Board Minutes of Eden (Methodist) United Church, 1903-1934.  The history given states this church was never actually active, although a Trustee Board looked after the disposition of its property.

 

History:                       The community of Maple Grove is located on land deeded to David Hatch, between Big and Little Otter Creeks on Ridge Road, running from Concession 8 to Talbot St.  David Hatch and his brother-in-law William Bowes were said to have been two of seven trustees, who moved the first frame church to Maple Grove from Straffordville. This church, which was the former New Connection Methodist church at Straffordville, was taken down in 1871, moved and rebuilt and dedicated three years later, about 1874.

Maple Grove was part of a five-point charge, the others being North Hall, Eden, Straffordville and Guysboro. A minister came only every two weeks, and local preachers took charge of the services.  Names connected with this congregation are Thomas and John Hatch (sons of David), Levi Hatch, Edwin Bowes, Henry Hatch, Jacob Ketchabaw, John and William Wilson, William and John Stewart, William Chamberlain, Walter Mitchell, William Yeandle, James Procunier, Elgin Hatch, and Andrew Dean.

It is said the new brick church was built about 1900. It is possible that this building was moved to Tillsonburg and converted into the Orange Lodge hall.

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      Straffordville United Church

 

Location:                    9279 Duke Street (at Heritage Line), Straffordville

                                    Straffordville Pastoral Charge, Box 220, Straffordville, ON N0J 1Y0

                                    (519) 866-3626

 

Date of Formation:    1852

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Vienna Circuit

 

Records:                     contact church at above mailing address                                                                           

History:                       This church was originally a Wesleyan Methodist congregation, and in 1853-1854 is recorded as having contributed to the Missionary Fund from the newly formed Vienna Circuit. A deed exists dated Dec. 8, 1855 between Joseph M. Dutton to the Trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist Church for 1/4 acre in lot 124, North Talbot Road.  In 1865, Straffordville is listed on the Bayham circuit, which included Guysboro, Eden, Nelles and Dobbie’s.  In 1875 the circuit included seven points - Maple Grove, Eden, Richmond, North Hall, Pine Grove (Garnham), Brick and Straffordville.  In 1879 a parsonage was built at Straffordville and in 1883 a church was built.  In 1888 the circuit was made up of Straffordville, Eden, Guysboro, Maple Grove and North Hall.  In 1910 the 26-year old church moved five blocks away.  In 1924-1926 the church and bell tower was raised and a basement installed.  Sod was turned for a new church on April 12, 1964, and the first service was held there on December 20, 1964. The new church is located on lot 124, North Side Talbot Road (corner of Heritage Line and Duke Street). The old church was sold to another congregation and became known as the Glad Tidings Chapel.  This building was destroyed by fire in February 1967.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      St. Paul’s United Church, Port Burwell

 

Location:                    Erieus Street, Port Burwell (lot 11, concession 1)

                                    (519) 874-3626

 

Date of Formation:    1849

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Malahide Circuit (1850's)

Port Burwell-Vienna Charge

                                    Straffordville Pastoral Charge

 

Records:                     The United Church Archives lists the following records in their holdings for Port Burwell Methodist Church:

 

Board of Trustee Minutes (1910 - 1924)

 

- for other records,  contact Straffordville Pastoral Charge, Box 220, Straffordville, N0J 1Y0 (519) 866-3626

 

History:                       The history of the Methodist church in Port Burwell dates back to 1849 when George Henry Backhouse of Port Rowan, who made frequent trips on horseback to Port Burwell as a local preacher and class leader. These efforts led to the construction of the Wesleyan Methodist church in Port Burwell which began in 1850 and dedicated in 1852.  It was a frame building, erected on the site of the present brick church.  It was built under the direction of George Backhouse. Some of the timber and pillars were purchased from the original Baptist church north of the village which was being dismantled at that time.   Leonidas Burwell donated the land for the church in a deed dated April 19, 1852.  Samuel Lee was the chief architect.  First preacher on the Port Burwell and Vienna charge was Rev. O. H. Elsworth, who arrived in 1854. Previous to this, both places had been missions, with outside preachers holding services.  The church remained in the possession of the Methodist church until May 1911, when it was sold to the Free Methodist congregation to be moved, and was still in use by that congregation in the 1930's. In September1910, the corner stones of the present church were laid by Squire William Backhouse, David Marshall, M.P., and Mrs. E. E. McConnell. The church was completed and dedicated in December 1911. A bell was installed in the tower of the church in 1955.

 

Ministers:

 

Rev. O. H. Elsworth, 1854

Rev. T. L. McCutcheon, 1894

Rev. R. W. Williams, 1895

Rev. A. S. Edwards, 1897

Rev. A. E. Lloyd, 1900-1902

Rev. W. Baugh, 1902-1905

Rev. W. C. Johnston, 1905-1909

Mr. Hunt, 1909

Rev. J. H. Clark, 1910

Rev R. S. Quinn, 1912

Rev. S. C. Edmunds, 1914

Rev. H. W. Watts, 1917

Rev. P. T. King, 1919

Rev. W. J. Holly, 1923

Rev. W. M. Lovegrove, 1925

Rev. J. C. Knight, 1928

Rev. D. D. Gaynor, 1931

Rev. Geo. S. Hammond, 1935

[see Vienna United Church for later ministers]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Free Methodist

 

Name of Church:      Port Burwell

 

Location:                    Lot 35, Shakespeare Street

 

Date of Formation:    frame Methodist church purchased in 1911 and moved

 

Date of Closing:         1967

 

                                     Affiliations:

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       In 1910 or 1911, this congregation purchased the frame Methodist church built in 1852. It was moved from its original location to Lot 35, Shakespeare Street.  The Free Methodists did not join the union creating the United Church of Canada in 1925, and therefore had to struggle with a small congregation. The last two decades of the church’s existence were due largely to the dedication of Harry & Dorothy Alward.  Mr. Alward took over as lay pastor in 1952 and held the church together until 1966. The church closed in 1967 and the church was demolished in June 1980 when it became a fire hazard.

 

Ministers:                   [earlier ministers names not available]

                                    Rev. J. R. Lambert, 1946-1949

                                    Rev. G. F. Armitage, 1949-1952

                                    Harry O. Alward, 1952-1966

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      North Bayham (Methodist) United Church

 

Location:                    1.  Lot 16, Concession 11 (1866 - 1908)

                                    2.  Corner of Concession 10 and Highway 3 (1908 - 1968)

 

Date of Formation:    circa 1841

 

Date of Closing:         November 15, 1968

 

Affiliations:                Brownsville Circuit (1874 -1896)

Corinth Circuit (1896 - 1933)

Richmond-Corinth Circuit (1933-1964)

Springfield Circuit (1964 -      )

 

Records:                     see affiliated congregations / circuits

 

History:                       This congregation dates back to 1841 when Rev. Brinton P. Brown came to Dereham township and settled where the village of Brownsville is now.  He was a Wesleyan Methodist minister, and began holding meetings in the homes of the community.  Soon he was preaching in the adjoining communities of the Jones Settlement (Corinth), and the Chauncey Smith Settlement (North Bayham).  There is a record of a communion service being held in his home in 1843.  Attending from North Bayham were the families of Chauncey Smith, Thomas Benstead Arn and John Malcolm.

The first church was built on the farm of Chauncey Smith, lot 16, Concession 11, about 1866. It was a white frame building and served the community for 42 years. A deed exists dated Nov. 25, 1865 for property in lot 16, concession 11, between Chauncey Smith and James Hill, et al, Trustees of the Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connection Chapel. The Brownsville Circuit was formed in 1874 and included Brownsville, Delmer, North Bayham, Corinth, Culloden and Dereham Centre.  The

circuit was served by a resident minister living at Brownsville and a student minister assisting.  The Corinth Circuit was formed in 1896 or 1897, and North Bayham became part of that circuit. When plans were being made for a new building, it was decided to change the location to a site adjacent to the North Bayham school where the concession (10) line joins No. 3 Highway.

                        

 

The cornerstone for a  new church was laid on August 30, 1907 and completed and dedicated on March 8, 1908.  The church was described as a two-storey building with block and cement basement and brick walls.  The main entrance was in a tower at the south corner and the choir gallery and pulpit platform in the opposite corner. In 1909, North Hall was added to the circuit.  In 1933 the Richmond-Corinth Circuit was formed, including North Bayham, and the church at North Hall was closed.  North Bayham became part of the Springfield Circuit in 1964, which included Corinth, Springfield and North Bayham. The North Bayham church held a farewell closing service on November 10, 1968, and the church was officially closed on November 15, 1968.  An auction of the furniture, kitchen equipment, etc. was held on February 25, 1969, and on September 25 of the same year, the church building was sold and was removed by October 25.

 

                                    Further history:         Corinth & North Bayham Tweedsmuir History                                

 

Ministers:                  


[1866-1906]

Rev. W. F. Morrison

Rev. John Saunders

Rev. William Birks

Rev. Thomas Jackson

Rev. Walter Rigsby

Rev. Thomas Crews

Rev. George Jackson

Rev. John Veale

Rev. George H. McAllister

Rev. Orville Alexander

Rev. James Snell

Rev. L. W. Reid

Rev. Madden

Rev. A. E. Lloyd

 

Rev. R. A. Miller, 1906-1910

Rev. John Hart, 1910-1911

Rev. James Elford, 1911-1915

Rev. L. C. McRoberts, 1915-1919

Rev. Wm. Fagan, 1919-1921

Rev. A. D. Whaley, 1921-1925

Rev. P. E. James, 1925-1927

Rev. A. R. Kellam, 1927-1931

Rev. R. E. Davies, 1931-1933

Rev. Charles Leslie, 1933-1936

Rev. C. C. Strachan, 1936-1940

Rev. J. L. Foster, 1940-1941

Rev. H. E. Wright, 1941-1947

Rev. J. N. Gould, 1947-1955

Rev. A. M. Manson, 1955-1958

Dwight Hinton, 1958-1961

Rev. K. B. Passmore, 1961-1964

Rev. H. C. Macdougall, 1964-1966

William Zeigler, 1966-1968


 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      Corinth (Methodist) United Church

 

Location:                    11311 Henry Street (at Best Line) in Corinth

 

Date of Formation:    1880 [congregations of Benson & Jones Corners joined]

 

Date of Closing:         1997

 

Affiliations:                Brownsville Circuit ( Delmer, Bayham, Dereham & Culloden) to 1896

Corinth Pastoral Charge (North Hall & North Bayham)1896-1935

Richmond Circuit (Summers Corners, North Bayham, Fairivew, & Richmond) 1935-1964

Springfield Circuit (includes Springfield, Corinth & North Bayham) 1964-

 

Records:                     The United Church Archives lists the following records for Corinth Pastoral Charge in their holdings:

 

                                    Records of Corinth Methodist Church (1849-1924)

                                    Records of Corinth United Church (1912-1997)

Marriage Register (1912 - 1925)

                                    Marriages (1896-1913) (includes Richmond)

Membership records (circuit register) (1897 - 1927)

Collection book (ca 1900 - 1928)

 

See also listing for Richmond and other affiliations, above

 

History:                       Two Methodist congregations existed in the Corinth area (Moss-Benson and Jones’ Corners) dating back to the 1840's.  It is presumed both congregations were joined together when the new church was built in the village of Corinth in 1880.  This congregation was first on the Brownsville circuit, which included Brownsville, Delmer, Bayham, Dereham, and Culloden.  Corinth was removed from this circuit in 1896 and put on with North Bayham and North Hall.  The North Hall church was closed in 1935 and Corinth was put on the Richmond Circuit which was made up of Richmond, Summers Corners, North Bayham, Fairview and Corinth.  In 1934 the church shed at North Hall was torn down and added to the Corinth shed. In the spring of 1963 it was decided to build a Fellowship room on the back of the church to be used for Sunday School and a meeting place.  The building was named “Gould Fellowship Hall”, in honour of Rev. J. N. Gould of Aylmer, who served at Corinth from 1944 to 1955.  In 1964, the circuit was again changed, with Corinth being placed on the Springfield circuit, made up of Springfield, Corinth and North Bayham. At this time, the parsonage was sold to Leo Smith, of Corinth. The Corinth United Church closed in 1997, and the building was converted into a residence.

 

Further History:        -article in Tillsonburg News, April 21, 1980, Corinth Church 100 Years Old

                                    - Corinth & North Bayham Tweedsmuir History

 

 

Ministers:

 

Brownsville circuit:

 

John Saunders, Charles C. Couzens, 1875

John Saunders, William French, 1876

William Birks, James Hazlewood, 1877

William Birks, John H. Bennett, 1878

William Birks, 1879

Thomas W. Jackson, James W. Sifton, 1880

Thomas W. Jackson, Ezra Burkholder, 1881

Thomas W. Jackson, John Kirkland, 1882

Walter Rigsby, Henry Irvine, 1883

Walter Rigsby, Richard T. Hamilton, 1884

Walter Rigsby, S. W. Muxworthy, 1885

Thomas Crews, Herber Crews, 1886

Thomas Crews, Reuben J. Garbutt, 1887-1888

George Jackson, C. W. Brown, 1889

George Jackson, R. Whiting, 1890

George Jackson, John Morrison, 1891

J. Veale, T. H. Down, 1892

J. Veale, G. M. Hazen, 1893

W. G. H. McAllister, Byron Snell, 1894

W. G. H. McAllister, A. Alexander, 1895

 

Corinth Circuit:

 

Rev. Edwin Fesant, 1896

Rev. Byron Snell, 1897-1899

Rev. J. J. Haylock, 1900-1903

Rev. Alex Devar, 1904-1905

Rev. Mr. Munday, 1906-1908

Rev. R. A. Millar, 1909

Rev. J. Hart, 1910

Rev. James Elford, 1911-1914

Rev. L. C. McRoberts, 1915-1918

Rev. William Fagan, 1919-1920

Rev. David Whaley, 1921-1925

Rev. P. E. James, 1925-1927

Rev. A. R. Kellam, 1925-

Rev. F. E. Davies

 

Richmond Circuit:

 

Rev. C. W. Leslie, 1934-1936

Rev. C. C. Strachan, 1936-1939

Rev. J. L. Foster, 1940

Rev. H. E. Wright, 1941-1947

Rev. J. N. Gould, 1947-1955

Rev. A. M. Mason, 1955-1958

Dwight Hinton, 1958-1961

Rev. K. B. Passmore, 1961-1964

 

Springfield Circuit:

 

Rev. Harry M. McDougall, 1964-1966

William Zeigler, 1966-1971

Rev. Cecil Jardine, 1971-1975

Rev. William Zeigler, 1975-1981

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      North Hall

 

Location:                    Lot 8, Concession 8

 

Date of Formation:    ca 1850's

 

                                    Date of Closing:         1934

 

Affiliations:                Richmond Circuit (1856-1872)

Straffordville Circuit (1873 - 1909)

Corinth Circuit (1909 - 1935)

 

Records:                     see listing for above circuits

 

The United Church Archives lists the following records in their holdings relating specifically to North Hall United Church:

 

Board of Trustee Minutes (1900 - 1930)

Sunday School Attendance Records (1916 - 1934)

 

History:                       Public worship was held in the North Hall area before the permanent church was erected.  The ministers used to come out from Richmond and hold Sabbath preaching in the old Dobbie schoolhouse on the sideroad where the Hatch farm was located.  In 1862, three school sections united, and the Dobbie school children attended the White Schoolhouse, south of Corinth. All ages attended Sunday School at the White School in the afternoons on a weekly basis.  At this time, the congregation from North Hall would attend this Sunday school at White’s School, then walk down the road for church services at the Templar’s Hall, a crude red brick edifice near where the North Hall Church was later built.  The Templars were a lodge organized for the cause of temperance, and ministers of the New Connection Methodist church preached there.  It was part of the Bayham circuit, along with Garnham’s, Eden, Straffordville, and the Brick Schoolhouse.  For 14 years, this hall served as a church for the North Hall congregation, from 1864 to 1878.A deed exists dated June 1, 1878 for 1/4 acre in the north half of lot 8, concession 8 between Elisha Howell and the Trustees of North Hall Methodist Church.

A brick church was built on this lot in 1878, and by this time, the North Hall congregation had been transferred from the Richmond Circuit to the Straffordville Circuit.  At the time of the dedication of the church, the minister was Rev. Francis Nugent, of Straffordville.  The church building committee consisted of Abram Todd, A. L. Cook, Henry Berry and Haggai Cook.

The church was changed to the Corinth Circuit in 1909, and celebrated its golden anniversary of its erection on Aug. 19, 1928.

Due to declining attendance, services were discontinued in June 1934. The church shed was given to the Corinth United Church in 1934, and preparations were made to dispose of the rest of the church property, which was done by auction.  The church was sold in 1935 to Charles Laister of Tillsonburg, who dismantled it.  The property was sold to Earl Greer, who owned the adjoining property.

 

Further history:         Corinth & North Bayham Tweedsmuir History

 

Ministers:      

 


Bayham-Richmond circuit:

 

Rev. Thomas Rump, 1856-1857

Rev. Benjamin Haigh, 1858-1859

Rev. James Baskerville, 1860-1861

Rev. Orren Whitcamb, 1862-1864

Rev. William Webb, 1865-1866

Rev. Edward Brown, 1867-1869

Rev. James B. Goodspeed, 1870-1872

 

Straffordville circuit:

 

Rev. John Elliot, 1873-1875

Rev. William Turner, 1876-1877

Rev. Francis E. Nugent, 1877-1879

Rev. James Gundy, 1880-1885

Rev. E. L. Clement, 1886

Rev. J. G. Yelland, 1887-1889

Rev. James B. Kennedy, 1890

Rev. L. W. Wickett, 1891-1893

Rev. Edwin Fesant, 1894-1896

Rev. Byron Snell, 1897-1899

Rev. J. J. Haylock, 1900-1903

Rev. Alex Devar, 1904-1905

Rev. Mr. Munday, 1906-1908

 

Corinth circuit:

 

Rev. R. A. Millar, 1909

Rev. J. Hart, 1910

Rev. James Elford, 1911-1914

Rev. L. C. McRoberts, 1915-1918

Rev. William Fagan, 1919-1920

Rev. David Whaley, 1921-1925

Rev. P. E. James, 1925-1927

Rev. A. R. Kellam, 1927-1931

Rev. R. E. Davies, 1931-1933

Rev. Charles Leslie, 1933-closing


 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist

 

Name of Church:      Episcopal Methodist, Vienna

 

                                    Location:                    Chapel Street, Vienna

 

Date of Formation:    ca 1833

 

Date of Closing:         1884 (united with Wesleyan Methodist church in Vienna)

 

Affiliations:                Straffordville (1856)

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       This congregation was first served by Rev. Thomas Greer, a travelling minister, in 1836.  They worshipped at John Elliott’s home, then in a loft above his warehouse.  A church was built on Chapel Street, but was destroyed by fire on April 13, 1856.  A new church was rebuilt  by the bridge near the site of the Edison homestead, and was dedicated in 1860. This building was used till the union of all Methodist churches in 1884.  The Episcopal Church was then sold to the United Brethren congregation in 1884.  It was demolished in 1935.

A deed exists dated Oct. 6, 1860 for a lot at the corner of Centre and Chapel Streets, from Mahlon B. Edison to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Another deed exists, dated June 5, 1889 for lot 7, east side of Oak Street, from Mary A. Edison to the Trustees of the Vienna Congregation of the Methodist Episcopal church.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist (Wesleyan) (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      Vienna United Church (formerly Wesleyan Methodist)

 

Location:                    11 Elm Street, Vienna

 

Date of Formation:    pre 1837

 

Date of Closing:         closed as a United Church; continues as “The Church at Vienna”

 

Affiliations:                Malahide Circuit (1840-1853)

                                    Vienna Circuit (1853-1882)

                                    Port Burwell Circuit (1882-1884)

                                    Vienna Mission (1884-1908)

                                    Vienna Circuit (1908-1925)

                                        Straffordville Circuit (included Port Burwell) (1925 -           )

 

Records:                     contact Straffordville Pastoral Charge (see Straffordville United Church)

 

History:                       The Wesleyan Methodists first held services in the schoolhouse, but began to build a church in the 1830's. When the Rebellion broke out in 1837, the stormy time put a stop to the work, and it was never completed. The frame was sold to a Mr. Durdle some years later who tore it down.  In 1845, it was decided to build a chapel in Vienna for the Wesleyan Methodist church.  A 1/5 acre lot was deeded to the Wesleyan Methodist congregation on May 19, 1845 by Thomas & Snow Edison (part of lot 14, concession 3).  The building was still in the process of being erected in 1849. The Episcopal Methodist congregation in Vienna joined this church in 1884. A basement was put under the church in 1950.  The Vienna United Church is now closed, but continues as “The Church at Vienna” (519) 874-4975.

 

Further history:         “Vienna United Church History, 1840-1965" (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

 

 

Ministers:                  

 

Malahide Circuit (1840-1853):

Thomas Fawcett, 1840    

Luther O. Rice 1841  

J. K. Williston, 1842-1844                                                             

David Hardie, 1844-1845

Thomas Jeffers, 1845-1847

Joseph Sheppey, 1847-1849

Samuel C. Phelp & John English, 1849-1851

George Kennedy & Thomas Peacock, 1851-1852

George Kennedy & John Shaw, 1852-1853

 

Vienna Circuit (1853-1882):

 Orrin H. Ellsworth, 1853-1855          

Edwin Clement, 1855-1858                          

Daniel E. Brownell, 1869-1871

James Preston, 1858-1860                             

Andrew A. Smith, 1860-1863                     

John Mills, 1863-1864                                

Harry Lanton, 1864-1865                              

James Harris, 1865-1867                                

P. M. Bawtinhimer, 1867-1869     

Daniel E. Brownell, 1869-1871

William C. Watson, 1871-1873

George Ferguson, 1875-1876

George Clark, 1876-1877

Charles C. Couzens, 1877-1880

William Shannon, 1880-1881

David Auld, 1881-1882

                

 

Port Burwell Circuit (1882-1884): David Auld, 1882-1883;  James Guney, 1883-1884

 

Vienna Mission (1884-1908):

 James Gundy, 1884-1885                             

John Reynolds, 1885-1888  

Lewis L. Wickett, 1881-1891

T. L. McCutcheon, 1893-1895

R. W. Williams, 1895-1897

Abel S. Edwards, 1897-1900

Alfred W. Lloyd, 1900-1902

William Baugh, 1902-1905

G. H. Johnson, 1905-1907

E. A. Poulter, 1907-1908            

 

Vienna Circuit (1908-1925):

 M. A. Hunt, 1908-1909                               

Joseph H. Clark, 1909-1912 

Samuel Quinn, 1914-1917

Hartley W. Watts, 1917-1917

Thomas P. King, 1919-1923

W. J. Holley, 1923-1925                     

 

 

Straffordville Circuit (1925- )

William M. Lovegrove, 1925-1928                

James C. Knight, 1928-1931                         

D. D. Gaynor, 1931-1935                              

George S. Hammond, 1935-1939                  

E. A. Poulter, 1939-1944                               

A. J. McKaye, 1944-1949                              

W. Meurig Thomas, 1949-1951                     

W. Edgar Gill, 1951-1954                            

D. M. Stinson, 1954-1961                             

Albert J. Cook, 1961-1965

David Ivorson, 1965

Norman E. Jones, 1965-1967

W. P. Smetheram, 1967-1970

Fred R. Milnes, 1970-1973

Thomas Watson, 1973-1979

Susan Eagle, 1979-1984

Kenneth McLaughlin, 1984-1987

Wayne Myhre, 1987-1988

Daniel F. Raats, 1988-

 

 

                        _____________________________________________________

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist

 

                                    Name of Church:      Bayham Circuit

 

                                    Location:

 

                                    Date of Formation:    1856

 

                                        Date of Closing:

 

Affiliations:                Straffordville, Eden & Dobbie’s School 1850's

Neiles Corners and Guysboro, 1860's

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       New Connection Methodist

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist

 

Name of Church:      Church of the Christian Brethren (later Methodist Episcopal)

 

Location:                    Corinth (just north of intersection, known as Jones’ Corners)

                                    Concession 10, Lot 6

 

Date of Formation:    circa 1849

 

Date of Closing:         circa 1880

 

                                    Affiliations:

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       This church was one of the two churches at Corinth, the other being the Wesleyan Methodist on Concession 10 (Moss’ Church or Benson Chapel).  It was located just north of the four corners in Corinth, known as the Jones Corners.  It was on the east side of the road, and was a red brick building. A deed exists for property in the south part of lot 6, concession 10, dated August 2, 1875 between Thomas Weaver and Isaac Smith, Guilford Marr, & Michael Wolfe, Trustees.   It was first a Church of the Christian Brethren, and later the Methodist Episcopal Church. It is presumed that the congregation of the Moss Church and this church joined together when the new Methodist church was built in Corinth in 1880.

After this building was no longer used as a church, it became a hall for the use of the community.  It was also used for holding court, and court cases for this area were tried there, court sessions being held every fall.  This building remained on the site until about 1935 when it was demolished by Charles Laister of Tillsonburg.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist

 

Name of Church:      Straffordville Methodist Episcopal Church

 

Location:                    Straffordville (lot 125, North Talbot Road)

 

Date of Formation:    between 1851 and 1861

 

Date of Closing:         1884 (became Straffordville Methodist Church; now United church)

 

Affiliations:                Vienna (1840-1880's)

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       A deed exists dated Oct. 25, 1855 between Joab Leach and the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, for property in lot 125, North Talbot Road.  A church was erected here in 1857.  This congregation united with the Wesleyan Methodist church in Straffordville in 1884, which eventually became Straffordville United Church in 1925.

 

                        ________________________________________________________     

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist

 

Name of Church:      New Connection Methodist, Straffordville

 

Location:                    Straffordville (south of Main Street)

 

Date of Formation:    1856 [or 1836?????]

 

                                    Date of Closing:         before 1871                

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       A church built in 1858.  When it was closed, the building  was sold to the congregation at Maple Grove and moved in 1871.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist

 

Name of Church:      Eden Methodist Church (also known as MacDowell Church)

 

Location:                    Eden (corner Ridge Road & Ingersoll-Port Burwell Plank Road)

 

Date of Formation:    1855

 

Date of Closing:         1925

 

                                        Affiliations:

 

Records:                     The United Church Archives lists the following records for Tillsonburg Circuit, and lists Eden in that collection:

 

Circuit Register (1860-1871)

Board of Trustee Minutes (Eden church), (1903-1934)

 

 

History:                       This church is listed as having been an Episcopal Methodist congregation. It was also known as MacDowell Church in 1854-1855.  About 1911 it was part of a five point charge including Eden, Guysboro, Straffordville, North Hall, and Maple Grove. A deed dated Jan. 13, 1866 exists for property in the south east corner of the north part of the south half of lot 22, concession 9, between Henry Gilbert and Peter Yocum, et al, Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church.       

In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was formed, the church at Eden was closed.  It was converted into a garage and service station with living quarters below.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Methodist

 

Name of Church:      Nelles Corners

 

Location:                    Lot 15, Concession 5 (Plank Road, between Jackson Line & Calton Line)

 

Date of Formation:    1860's

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       A deed exists dated September 24, 1862 between James C. Seymour to the Trustees of the Methodist New Connection Church, for property in the southwest corner of lot 15, concession 5.  This property is located on the west side of what was later Highway 19, and now called Plank Road.  The lot would be between Jackson Line and Calton Line, and south of Straffordville. No church building appears on this lot in the 1877 Historical Atlas of Elgin County.

 

            ___________________________________________________________________

 

Township:                  Bayham

Denomination:           Presbyterian

 

Name of Church:      Free Presbyterian Church of Canada

 

Location:                    meetings held at Port Burwell, Vienna, Straffordville

 

Date of Formation:    1854

 

Records:                     The United Church Archives lists the following records for Straffordville Presbyterian:

 

Minutes of Congregational Meetings (Straffordville, Port Burwell and Vienna), (1854 - 1873)

 

Building Contract (1867)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Presbyterian

 

                                            Name of Church:      Free Presbyterian Church of Canada 

 

Location:                    Port Burwell (corner Erieus & Victoria Street)

 

Date of Formation:    circa 1854

 

Date of Closing:         circa 1873 [sold in 1896]

 

Affiliations:                Vienna & Straffordville

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       With few of the early settlers in Bayham being of the Presbyterian faith, it was not until the 1850's that there were enough to warrant organizing a congregation.  In 1854, Presbyterians from Port Burwell, Vienna and Straffordville began holding meetings in schools and homes, and eventually organized themselves as The Free Presbyterian Church of Canada.  They were served by visiting ministers or missionaries during this time.  By 1867, the congregation was strong enough in Port Burwell to consider erecting a church. Property for the building of a church was deeded on March 4, 1868 by Mr & Mrs L. Burwell to the congregation of the Canada Presbyterian Church. The frame church of substantial size was built in 1867 on the corner of Victoria and Erieus Streets.  The first permanent minister, Rev. James Donaldson, did not arrive until about 1872. Dissension arose within the congregation surrounding the minister, who left in 1873. Many of the members had left the church by this time. For the next twenty years, it is not certain whether any attempt was made to continue services there. In 1896, the building was bought  by James Burger who moved it to Main Street where it was used as a livery stable.  It was destroyed by fire about 1913.  The original building site was sold later and became the lawn of a residence which stood behind the old church.

 

Further history:         Memories - A History of Port Burwell”, Frank Prothero, 1986

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Roman Catholic

 

Name of Church:      Roman Catholic Church, Vienna

 

Location:                    corner of Fulton Street and Edison Drive (formerly Main Street), Vienna

 

Date of Formation:    1850's

 

Date of Closing:         1873

 

Affiliations:                Circuit - Charlotteville to Tillsonburg

 

Records:                     no known records; contact Roman Catholic Archives in London

 

History:                       In 1851, there were about 65 Catholics living in Bayham township, and by 1860, there were over 150, about one-third of them residing in Vienna.  The Roman Catholic congregation at Vienna was formed in the 1850's, and  was part of a circuit including churches from Charlotteville to Tillbonsburg.  In the 1850's, it was served by priests from Brantford to LaSalette. A church was built on Main Street about 1860 on a lot donated by Vienna watchmaker Henry Vogt.A deed exists dated May 16, 1861 for lot 10, west side of Main Street, from Henry Vogt to the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of the Diocese of Sandwich. During the 1860's, Vienna had resident clergymen, including Father J. Wagner & Father G. Volkert. By the 1870's, the Catholic population in Vienna had been reduced by half, and the church was closed in 1873. Apparently, occasional services continued to be held, as there is record of the last Mass being said in 1883.  On May 20, 1901, the London Diocese sold this lot to Alexander S. Stillwell, who on Dec. 9, 1901 sold it to the Trustees of the Vienna Circuit of the Denomination of United Brethren in Christ. This congregation worshipped there for several years, but was purchased by the Vienna Masonic Lodge # 237 in 1912.  The Lodge was still active in this building in 2006.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

                                    Denomination:           Roman Catholic

 

Name of Church:      St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church

 

Location:                    59 Victoria Street, Port Burwell

 

Date of Formation:    1937

 

Date of Closing:         closed circa 2004 (now Lighthouse Gospel Church)

 

Records:                     contact London Catholic Diocese Archives

 

History:                       This congregation was formed on June 20, 1937, largely due to the efforts of Monsignor J. H. O’Neil of Tillsonburg, who made frequent visits to the 35 Catholic families in the Port Burwell area. The congregation was first organized as a mission, and a cement block house was rented and eventually purchased in 1938 from a Mr. Sampson.  In 1941, the former St. Brigitta Church in Port Bruce was moved to Port Burwell to a lot behind the Sampson house. It was renovated to accommodate about 75 people, and the first mass in the church was held on August 3, 1941.  The mission became a parish in 1947 with Father Stephen Toth being named the first pastor.  After about a year, Father Toth moved the services back  into the former Sampson house and sold the church building  to Ralph Hurley, and is now the first home south of the United Church. During the 1950's, two acres of land was purchased on Victoria Street for a future church. The project of building a new church and rectory was begun in August 1965. The first mass held in the new building was March 30, 1966, and was blessed by Bishop G. Emmett Carter of the London Diocese in November 1966.  The new building contained several special rooms, including four bedrooms for visiting priests, and a “crying room” where mothers of small children may watch the service from behind a sound-proof window and hear the words and music over an intercom system. The church was closed probably around 2004, with a liturgy celebrated by Bishop Fabbro. The building was purchased by the Lighthouse Gospel Church, a congregation of the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference.

 

Further history:         -article in Aylmer Express, Nov. 9, 1966, re blessing of new church

                                    - “Memories - A History of Port Burwell”, Frank Prothero, 1986

 

 

Priests:

 

Monsignor J. H. O’Neil

Father Stephen Toth, 1947-1951

Father William Smith, 1951-1955

Father Joseph McGraw, 1955-1957

Father Leonard Thomas, 1957-1959

Father James Hollerhead, 1959-

Father Victor C. Cote, 1968-1972

Father William Morris, 1974-1981

Father John Mooney, 1981-

 

                        _____________________________________________________

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Quaker

 

                                    Name of Church:

 

Location:                    2 miles on Talbot Road from Bayham, western border

 

Date of Formation:    1842

 

                                    Date of Closing:

 

                                    Affiliations:                Malahide Circuit

 

Records:                     no known records

 

                                    History:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           United Brethren

 

Name of Church:      United Brethren

 

            Location:                    Concession 2, east of Vienna

Moved to Episcopal Methodist church in Vienna in 1884

 

Date of Formation:    1870's

 

                                    Date of Closing:

 

                                    Affiliations:

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       This congregation first worshipped on Concession 2, east of Vienna.  In 1884 they moved to the Episcopal Methodist Church in Vienna.  After 1903, they bought the former Vienna Roman Catholic Church from a Mr. Stilwell; and later sold it in 1913 to the Masonic Lodge.

 

A deed was found for another United Brethren congregation in Bayham.  Dated Nov. 3, 1877, it is for 1/4 acre of  lot 15 in the Gore North of Concession 5 and South of Talbot Road, between William Boyce and William Kulp, Thomas Neville & Abraham B. Allison, Trustees of the United Brethren in Christ.  This lot is located on what was later Highway 19 (now called Plank Road) , south of Straffordville. This deed may refer to the Plymouth Brethren congregation, also found in this volume.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Plymouth Brethren

 

Name of Church:      Plymouth Brethren

 

Location:                    south of Straffordville, possible 8507 Plank Line (Highway 19)

 

Date of Formation:    1880

 

                                    Date of Closing:

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       A deed was found dated Nov. 3, 1877 between William Boyce and William Kulp, Thomas Neville & Abraham B. Allison, Trustees of the United Brethren in Christ, for 1/4 acre of lot 15, in the Gore North of Concession 5 and South of Talbot Road. This lot is located on what was later Highway 19 (now called Plank Road), and south of Straffordville. Since the only information known about the Plymouth Brethren church is that is was located south of Straffordville on Highway 19, this deed matches that description quite closely.  There is a white frame church still standing (8507 Plank Line, just north of Jackson Road) but it is not known if this is the same building used by the Plymouth Brethren.  The church at 8507 Plank Line appears to still be operating as a place of worship, although no name is found on the building.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           Plymouth Brethren

 

Name of Church:      Plymouth Brethren

 

Location:                    Corinth

 

Date of Formation:    1884

 

                                    Date of Closing:

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       no further information available

 

 

                        _____________________________________________________

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

                                    Denomination:

 

Name of Church:      Gospel Hall

 

Location:                    Calton

 

Date of Formation:    1875

 

                                    Date of Closing:

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       no further information available

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  Bayham

 

Denomination:           (formerly) Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

 

Name of Church:      Community of Christ, Corinth

 

                                    Location:                    54246 Eden Line (519) 866-3650

 

Date of Formation:    1876

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     All records are housed at the Community of Christ Library, The Temple, 201 S. River,  Independence, Missouri, 64051

                                    Website: http://www.cofchrist.org/templeschool/library

                                    e-mail: smcdonald@CofChrist.org

                                    Canadian headquarters: http://www.communityofchrist.ca/east/east.htm

                       

                       

History:                       The Corinth Branch of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was organized on October 29, 1876. Christopher Pearson was elected the first pastor, and enrollment consisted of twelve members. Services of this congregation were held in the homes, some of which were Christopher Pearson, William Jenkins and Thomas Bearss.  A lot southeast of the railroad tracks in Corinth was donated  by William Jenkins in 1882, and a small, white frame edifice was erected and dedicated on June 19, 1883. In 1908 the church was raised and blocked.  The church was known for many years as “the little white church at Corinth”.  In 1975, the former Corinth Public School south of Corinth on Elgin Road 44 (now Eden Line) was purchased and renovated by the congregation for their church building. The first service there was held on November 30, 1975. The “little white church” was converted into a home. The congregation celebrated its centennial and dedication services on Oct. 15 & 17, 1976.  The name of the denomination was changed in 2001 to “Community of Christ” to more accurately reflect the Church’s mission and theology. Their mission statement is “We proclaim Jesus Christ & promote communities of joy, hope, love and peace”.

 

Further history:         Corinth & North Bayham Tweedsmuir History

 

Pastors:

 


Christopher Pearson, 1876-1883

William Jenkins, 1883-1887

Christopher Pearson, 1887-1911

William Jenkins, 1911-1913

Henry Pearson, 1913-1919

Albert Borbridge, 1919-1921

Cecil Beemer, 1921

Henry Pearson, 1922-1940

Cecil Beemer, 1940-1950

Howard Marshall, 1950-1952

Archie Barham, 1952-1960

Thomas McDonald, 1960-1961

Archie Barham, 1961-1964

Earl Hill, 1964-1965

Archie Barham, 1965-1973

Howard Jenney, 1973-1974

John Greenwood, 1974-1982

Glenn Groves, 1982-1987

John Greenwood, 1987-1993

Archie Hill, 1993-2003

Cheryl Brooks & Pastoral Team, 2003-


 

 

 

Other Current Places of Worship found in Bayham Township:

 

 

Corinth Mennonite Church

56519 Eden Line

 866-3883

 

Mission Baptist Church

35 Plank Road

Straffordville, 866-5585

 

Straffordville Evangelical Mennonite Church

8277 Plank Road

866-5460

 

Calton Conservative Mennonite Church

6732 Richmond Road

 

Unidentified white frame church at

8277 Plank Road (south of Straffordville)

 

Straffordville Gospel Hall

Plank Line (beside # 9132)