Contact Us

Recent site activity

Home‎ > ‎Ancestor Indexes‎ > ‎Places of Worship‎ > ‎

St. Thomas

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Elgin County

 

Places of Worship

 

Records Inventory

 

                                                                       

St. Thomas

 

 

 

 

Elgin County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society

 

Published 2006

 

 

Churches in St. Thomas: (click on church name for photo)

St. Thomas Anglican              

Trinity Anglican         

St. John’s Anglican                

St. Hilda’s/St. Luke’s Anglican

St. Luke’s Anglican               

St. Paul’s Reformed Episcopal                      

African Baptist                      

Knox Presbyterian                 

Alma Street Presbyterian       

First United                

Grace United             

Central United.                      

St. Andrew’s United 

St. Mark’s United      

Centre Street Baptist             

Broderick Memorial Baptist

Immanuel Baptist                   

William Street Baptist

Zion Baptist

Edward Street (New Hope) Baptist

Community of Christ

John Street Congregational

Princess Ave Disciples

Park Avenue Disciples

St. Thomas Christian (Disciples)

Salvation Army

Holy Angels Roman Catholic

Evangelical Missionary

Free Reformed

Nazarene

Hiawatha St. Baptist

Seventh Day Adventist

Independent Bible Baptist

New Apostolic

Victory Christian Fellowship

Redeemer Lutheran

Latter-Day Saints

Pentecostal Assembly

St. Anne’s Catholic

Gospel Hall

Faith Baptist

Eastwood Fellowship Baptist

Good News Christian Centre

First Christian Reformed

Fellowship Christian Reformed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Anglican (Church of England)

 

Name of Church:      St. Thomas’ Church

 

Location:                    55 Walnut Street, St. Thomas

 

Date of Formation:    pre 1820

 

Date of Closing:         1877 (congregation moved to Trinity Anglican Church)

 

Affiliations:                Balaclava Street Mission (pre 1872)

 

Records:                     Baptisms (1820 - 1877)

Marriages (1824 - 1877)

Burials (1824 - 1877)

Confirmations (1820 - 1853)

 

The above records in their original format are located at the church office of Trinity Anglican Church, 55 Southwick St., St. Thomas, Ontario, N5R 3S3.  Transcriptions and indexes to the above have been published and are available at the St. Thomas Public Library and Elgin County Archives.

 

Parish Reports (1827-1833; 1890) are held at the Huron Diocese Archives

 

History:                       A deed exists dated August 10, 1821 for two acres in lot 1, concession 8 (or lot 46, South Talbot Road), from Daniel Rapelje to the Bishop of Quebec for the use of the established church.                       

Between 1820 and 1822, Rev. Charles James Stewart, a travelling missionary, visited St. Thomas and ministered to the people here, and conducted about 40 baptisms.  A church was built on Walnut Street in 1823 or 1824. The tower was added in 1825 and the transepts in 1850.  The surrounding graveyard dates back to 1819. In the 1870's, a need was felt for a larger edifice, and in 1877 Trinity Church was built on Southwick street. The old St. Thomas church was then closed for regular services.  The church still stands on its original site, and has been preserved since 1894 as a tribute to the original settlers, many of whom are buried around it. The building has been restored inside and out to appearance in 1877.  It is still used for special services.

 

Further history:         -article in Huron Church News, by Rev. Charles H. James (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

- “The Story of Old St. Thomas Church”, by Judge Ermatinger

 

Ministers:                  

Rev. Alexander Mackinstosh, 1825-1829

                                    Rev. Edward J. Boswell, 1829

                                    Rev. Mark Burnham, 1829-1852

                                    Rev. St. George Caulfield, 1852-1873

                                    Rev. Stephen Benson Kellog, 1874-1875

                                    Rev. T. C. Desbarres, 1876-

 

 

 

                        ________________________________________________

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Anglican (Church of England)

 

Name of Church:      Trinity  Anglican Church

 

Location:                    55 Southwick St., St. Thomas, Ontario, N5R 3S3 (519) 631-7000

Date of Formation:    1877

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                congregation moved from St. Thomas’ Church in 1877

 

Records:                     Baptisms (1877 - 1915); (1915 - present)

Marriages (1877 - 1916); (1916 - present)

Burials (1877 - 1916); (1916 - present)

Confirmations (1877 -             ) [some missing]

Minutes (1877 -           )

 

The above records are available at the church office, Monday - Friday mornings

 

History:                       Trinity Church was built in 1877 when the congregation outgrew the St. Thomas Church on Walnut Street.  The lot for the new church was donated by George Kains.  The church was opened on May 27, 1877.  It boasts a seating capacity of 600. The bell from the old church was moved to Trinity. About 1885, an additional lot was purchased for the erection of a parish hall.  Another lot opposite the church was secured in 1895 for the Rectory.

 

Further history:         - article in Huron Church News, April 1963, by Rev. Charles James (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

 

 

 

Ministers:                  

Rev. T. C. Desbarres, 1877-1878

                                    Rev. George G. Ballard, 1878-1885

                                    Rev. Arundel C. Hill, 1885-1915

                                    Rev. J. W. J. Andrew, 1915-1939

                                    Rev. M. Bernard Johnson, 1939-1943

                                    Rev. John R. Thompson, 1943-1951

                                    Rev. John L. Duncan, 1951-1956

                                    Rev. Michael R. Griffin, 1956-1961

                                    Rev. John F. Wagland, 1961-1972

                                    Rev. Ray K. Farrell, 1972-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Anglican (Church of England)

 

Name of Church:      St. John’s Anglican Church

 

Location:                    20 Flora Street, St. Thomas, Ontario, N5P 2X4

                                    (519) 631-7368; fax (519) 631-7390

                                    e-mail: stjohnsst@sympatico.ca

 

Date of Formation:    1872

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                St. Thomas Church (1872-1877)

Trinity Church (1877-1881)

Glanworth (1881 - )

                                    Port Stanley (pre 1896)

 

 

Records:                     Baptisms (July 23, 1882 - May 22, 1921)

Marriages (Sept. 20, 1882 - July 12, 1909)

Burials (Aug. 8,1883 - Jan. 14, 1923)

Confirmations [no dates given]

 

The above records are located at the Church office

 

History:                       The present red brick church on Flora Street was not the original St. John’s church.  Its predecessor was a small frame church erected on Balaclava Street.  The history of St. John’s parish dates back to 1872 with the advent of the new Canada Southern Railway.  This event caused the influx of many new families who settled in what was then known as Millersburg - that part of town which was nearest the railway shops.  St. John’s began as a mission of the St. Thomas church during the incumbency of Rev. Jeffrey Hill, to meet the needs of Anglicans in the east end of town.

On August 1, 1872, John Burch Miller deeded the site of the first St. John’s church on Balaclava St., and a frame church was erected and opened on April 13, 1873.  In 1881, the mission of St. John’s was separated from Trinity church and for a time joined with Glanworth and later with Port Stanley, until it became an independent parish in 1896. 

 

The present church on Flora Street was built in 1909.  The cornerstone was laid on October 6, 1909.  A parish hall was built in 1929. The sanctuary of the church was enlarged in 1957.

 

Further history:         - article in Huron Church News, Nov. 1961 (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

Ministers:

 

                                    Rev. S. L. Smith, 1873-1887

                                    Rev. Dr. Beaumont, 1887-1892

                                    Rev. M. G. Freeman, 1892-1894

                                    Rev. William Hinde, 1894-1900

                                    Rev. W. A. Graham, 1900-1910

                                    Rev. W. F. Brownlee, 1910-1921

                                    Rev. Harding, 1921-1926

                                    Rev. J. A. Davies, 1926-1933

                                    Rev. Canon Thomas, 1933-1937

                                    Rev. Canon Taylor, 1937-1940

                                    Rev. Canon Handley Perkins, 1940-1942

                                    Rev. Canon C. H. James, 1942-1950

                                    Rev. R. W. Lane, 1950-1961

                                    Rev. Canon E. J. Shilliday, 1961-1968

                                    Rev. B. Whittaker, 1967-1968

                                    Rev. Stanley E. Jay, 1968-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Anglican

 

Name of Church:      St. Hilda’s - St. Luke’s Anglican

 

Location:                    185 Elm Street, St. Thomas, ON N5R 1S4; (519) 631-0504

 

Date of Formation:    1951

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     contact church

 

                                    History:                       In late 1949 and early 1950, a group of parishioners of Trinity Anglican church St. Thomas, discussed developing a congregation in the south east section of the city in the Homedale area.  In April 1951 a building was moved to St. Thomas and placed on a block foundation.  With the help of volunteer labour, it was remodelled into a place of worship, and known as the “little white church”.  It was located at 22 or 24 Dunkirk Drive.  The church was named St. Hilda’s at the organizational meeting on Sept. 27, 1951 and the building was dedicated on October 18, 1951.  In 1957 it was decided to build a new church on the corner of Elm and Mandeville streets, and the cornerstone was laid on October 30, 1957.  During the late 1960's, the congregation shared a pastor with St. Luke’s Anglican church.  In 1993, St. Luke’s closed and amalgamated with St. Hilda’s.  The church is now known as St. Hilda’s-St. Luke’s Anglican. 

 

Further history:         St. Hilda’s Anglican Church History, 1951-1993  (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

Ministers: (St. Hilda’s)


Rev. R.O.D. Salmon, 1951

Mr. Douglas Smith, 1951

Rev. Ernest Priest, 1951-1952

Rev. Grant Darling, 1952-1953

Rev. Robert Wild, 1953-1959

Rev. Denys Scorer, 1959-1962

Rev. Reginald Joselyn, 1962-1964

Rev. Norman Knox, 1964-1966

Rev. Barry Whittaker, 1967-1968

Rev. Frank Duckworth, 1967-1968

Rev. Errol Shilliday, 1967-1968

Rev. Sidney Lupton, 1969-1973

Rev. Michael Farr, 1973-1977

Rev. Floyd Green (during vacancies)

Rev. Virginia Lane, 1977-1982

Rev. Robert Shannon, 1982

Rev. Glenn Empey, 1983-1987

Rev. K. Sam Thomas, 1987-

Rev. Canon Brenda Clark

 
 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Anglican

 

Name of Church:      St. Luke’s Anglican Church

 

Location:                    347 Wellington Street, St. Thomas

 

Date of Formation:    circa 1913

 

Date of Closing:         1993 (congregation merged with St. Hilda’s Anglican Church)

 

Records:                     contact St. Hilda’s-St. Luke’s church

 

History:                       Around 1913, Sunday School meetings were held in the Park Avenue Mission School, and in 1916 a lot on the corner of Wellington Street and Park Avenue was purchased, and a red brick church was built in 1917, and opened for worship on September 7, 1917.  At first, the congregation was linked with St. John’s Anglican church, but by 1918 was recognized as an separate parish.  Rev. A. T. Lawson was the first pastor in the new parish.  In 1993, the congregation amalgamated with St. Hilda’s Anglican church on Elm Street, and St. Luke’s church was sold for a private residence. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Episcopal

 

Name of Church:      St. Paul’s Reformed Episcopal Church

 

Location:                    Centre Street (east of Southwick), St. Thomas

 

Date of Formation:    ca 1884

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       this church is found listed only in the St. Thomas City Directory for the year 1884

 

 

            __________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      African Baptist Church

 

Location:                    St. Thomas, Ontario (west end of town)

 

Date of Formation:    1838

 

Date of Closing:         1865

 

Records:                     A history of the church is located at the Canadian Baptist Archives, Hamilton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Presbyterian

 

Name of Church:      Knox Presbyterian (originally known as St. Andrew’s Presbyterian)

 

Location:                    55 Hincks Street, St. Thomas, N5R 3N9; (519) 631-2414; fax (519) 631-3366

                                    e-mail: knoxkirk@execulink.com

                                   

Date of Formation:    1837

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     [early registers destroyed in a fire]

 

Baptisms (1904 -         )

Marriages (1857 -        )

Annual Reports (1894 -          )

 

The above records are located at the church office. Knox Church has a well-organized Archives located at the church, with much more information than listed above.  Contact the church archivist Linda White (519) 631-2748

 

Baptisms (1876-1907) are found on LDS microfilm number 0161545, [on indefinite loan at St. Thomas LDS Family History Centre] and are also on microfilm at the Presbyterian Church Archives.

 

                       

History:                       This congregation was established in connection with the Church of Scotland in 1837, and was known as St. Andrew’s. The first minister was Rev. William McKillican in 1840, and the parish included charges in Southwold and Yarmouth.  A church was built on New Street, but was replaced in 1865 by a brick church erected on the site now occupied by the city Post Office (corner of Talbot & Mary Streets).  The cornerstone for this church was laid on May 24, 1865.  About 1883, the church property was purchased by the City for a Post Office, and a larger church was erected on the present site.  Opening services were held in February 1883.  The 84th anniversary services were held in 1921.

A mission church was established in 1887, to become Alma Street Presbyterian church, and about that time, the name was changed to Knox Presbyterian Church.  In 1899 a Sunday School building on Forest Ave was constructed.  In 1953 property was purchased for a new Christian Education building, completed in 1955.  In 1981 property was bought at 61 Wellington Street for parking and in 1985 the Forest Avenue building was sold.

 

Further history:         “Knox Presbyterian Church, St. Thomas 1837-1937" (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

Ministers:

                                    Rev. D. McKenzie, 1833-1838

                                    Rev W. McKillican, 1839-1843

                                    Rev. J. McKinnon, 1843-1848

                                    Rev. J. Fraser, 1848-1854

                                    Rev. A .Young, 1857-1863

                                    Rev. G. Cuthbertson, 1863-1876

                                    Rev. Dr. M. Fraser, 1876-1885

                                    Rev. F. Archibald, 1885-1888

                                    Rev. W. Boyle, 1888-1891

                                    Rev. J. MacDonald, 1891-1897

                                    Rev. D. Drummond, 1897-1905

                                    Rev. E. Pigeon, 1905-1911

                                    Rev. N. McGillivary, 1912-1919

                                    Rev. J. MacGillvray, 1919-1925

                                    Rev. J. Laird, 1925-1943

                                    Rev. Dr. H. S. Rodney, 1944-1996

                                    Rev. J. Price, 1968-1982

                                    Rev. T. Godfrey, 1987-1988

                                    Rev. K. Brownlee, 1996-1997

                                    Rev. A. Embree, 1997-1999

                                    Rev. Dr. A. Human, 1999-                

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Presbyterian

 

Name of Church:      Alma Street Presbyterian Church

 

Location:                    94 Kains Street (corner of Kains & Alma Streets)

 

Date of Formation:    1891

 

Date of Closing:         May 23, 2000

 

Affiliations:                North Street (Tempo) (1940- )

 

Records:                     Baptisms (no early records) [many missing]

Marriages (1889 -        ) [many missing]

Burials [no separate records; found in annual reports]

Communion Roll (1889 -        )

Minutes (1889 -           )

 

At the time of writing, it is not known where these records were deposited.  Researchers are advised to contact Knox Presbyterian Church in St. Thomas, or the Presbyterian Church Archives in Toronto.

 

Baptisms (1890-1904) and Communion Rolls (1890-1900) are found on LDS microfilm number 0161544 [on indefinite loan at St. Thomas LDS Family History Centre]

 

                            The Presbyterian Church Archives lists the following records on microfilm:          

Baptisms, 1891-1904

                                    Communion Rolls, 1890-1909

 

                                     History:                       In January 1891, the Presbytery of London gave permission for the formation of a congregation in the eastern part of St. Thomas. Property was donated by Norman McDonald, and the cornerstone was laid on April 13, 1891. On May 24 the same year, the church was opened and dedicated, with a membership of 25. By 1892, membership had grown to 160.  It was known as St. Thomas East Presbyterian church until about 1895. The congregation was dissolved on May 23, 2000.  The building is now Expressions Dance Arts.     

 

 

   

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      First United Church (first known as Wesleyan Methodist)

 

Location:                    7 Curtis Street, St. Thomas, N5P 1H3 (at St. George Street)

                                    (519) 631-7570; fax (519) 631-2052

                                    website: http://www.geocities.com/firstunitedchurch/

                                    e-mail: firstunited@porchlight.ca

                                    office normally open Mon - Thurs 9-3; Fri 9-noon

 

Date of Formation:    1816

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     some records were destroyed in a church fire in 1946

 

The United Church Archives lists the following records in their holdings:

 

Marriages (1903-1913; 1947-1951)

Baptisms (1947-1951)

Burials (1947-1951)

 

A notation in the file at the Archives states: “See - personal register of Rev. Earl W. Brearley”

 

History:                       The first Methodist services held in St. Thomas were in a frame building, called the Seminary, on Stanley Street, on a site later occupied by the late Judge Ermatinger.  Later, about 1834-36, a church was built on the same street nearly opposite the old town hall.  This land was given by William Drake, conveyed to the Trustees for a Canadian Wesleyan Chapel.  During the rebellion of 1837, soldiers occupied it as a barracks and some years later it was destroyed by fire.  In 1836, St. Thomas was made a circuit and separated from Westminster, but embraced Port Stanley, Fingal, Yarmouth Centre, Malahide, North Street, and Southwold.

In 1839, a lot was purchased from the Curtis farm (north side of Talbot Street), and a new church was opened on Jan. 10, 1841.  In 1844, a parsonage was erected at 9 Curtis Street.  In May 1855, St. Thomas was  made a charge with Musgrove’s and Salt Creek congregations. In 1856, a burial ground was set up at the foot of Pearl Street, bought from Thomas Curtis.  This was in use until the opening of the present cemetery, when the bodies were removed and the property sold (now site of Collegiate Institute). In 1873, a new church was built.  The old church was moved to 13 Curtis Street.  After the union of Wesleyan, Episcopal and Bible Christians under the title of the Methodist Church of Canada, the church was named First Methodist Church (about 1879 or 1880).  On March 21, 1895, fire destroyed all but walls and spire, and the church was rebuilt and opened in 1895. In 1905, property was purchased for a new parsonage, and the old one was sold.  In 1946, fire again destroyed the church, and it was found necessary to rebuild.  Services were held in the Columbia Theatre and the chapel at Alma College.  On April 16, 1949, the cornerstone was laid for a new church, and it was opened on March 16, 1950.  A hall was added in 1956.            

 

Ministers:

 


Rev. Kennedy Creighton, 1844

Rev. Samuel Philp, 1848

Rev. William Pollard, 1850

Rev. J. Bredin, 1851

Rev. Richard Whiting, 1852

Rev. Wm. Price, 1854

Rev. Noble English, 1857

Rev. Francis Berry, 1858

Rev. Wm. McCullough, 1860

Rev. Wm. Ames, 1863

Rev. W. W. Clark, 1865

Rev. Herbert Starr, 1869

Rev. G. N. Dickson, 1872

Rev. John A. Williams, 1875

Rev. Manley Benson, 1878

Rev. Donald Sutherland, 1881

Rev. W. R. Parker, 1884

Rev. J. W. Annis, 1887

Rev. R. J. Treleaven, 1890

Rev. James Hannon, 1893

Rev. G. F. Salton, 1896

Rev. John Philp, 1899

Rev. W. R. Young, 1901

Rev. Thomas Griffith, 1905

Rev. Alfred Brown, 1907

Rev. H. S. Dougal, 1911

Rev. W. H. Harvey, 1915

Rev. George King, 1918

Rev. Wilfred Gaetz, 1921

Rev. Robert Martin, 1925

Rev. Silvanus Edworthy, 1935

Rev. E. W. Brearley, 1947

Rev. R. B. Craig, 1952

Rev. H. M. Hunter, 1963-1972

Rev. Snow, 1972-1973

Rev. Donald Parsons, 1973-1980


 

 
 
 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      Grace United (first known as Balaclava St. Wesleyan Methodist Church)

 

Location:                    18 Balaclava Street, St. Thomas, Ontario, N5P 3C2

                                    (519) 631-7096; fax (519) 631-4402

                                    e-mail contact: jlocke@odyssey.on.ca

 

Date of Formation:    1873

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     Baptisms (1922 -         )

Marriages (1905 - 1929)

Burials (1922 -            )

Register of Church Members (1880 - 1899)

Pew Account Book (1896)

 

The baptisms, marriages and burials are on microfilm at the Elgin County Archives; the rest are located at the church office

 

History:                       When the Canada Southern Railway was built, the section on which Grace church stands was known as Millersburg, and farm land being owned by Edward Miller.  At that time Balaclava Street was a mere lane.  The need for a place of worship grew, and a group of 33 members met in the C. N. R. station, or in homes.  On Oct. 14, 1873, Edward Miller deeded a parcel of land to the Balaclava Street Congregation of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Canada.  A church was built in 1873, and in 1877, a cross section with two wings at the back and a basement under the new part were added.  A parsonage was built in 1879.  In 1909, following damage from a wind storm, it was decided to tear down the old church and build a new one.  On June 12, 1910, the new church was dedicated.  A Christian Education building, Ladies’ Parlour, and extensive renovations to the lower floor and front entrance were added in 1962.

 

 

 

Ministers:

 

Rev. E. Morrow, 1873-1874

Rev. John V. Smith, 1874-1877

Rev. Thomas Colling, 1877-1879

Rev. John E. Lancely, 1879-1880

Rev. James Gray, 1880-1881

Rev. A. M. Phillips, 1881-1884

Rev. W. Waddell, 1884-1887

Rev. I. B. Aylesworth, 1887-1890

Rev. John Scott, 1890-1893

Rev. R. Millyard, 1893-1896

Rev. Henry Irvine, 1896-1899

Rev. Wm. Goodwin, 1899-1903

Rev. G. A. Gifford, 1903-1906

Dr. J. R. Gundy, 1906-1911

Rev. R. W. Knowles, 1911-1915

Rev. W. E. Millson, 1915-1918

Rev. George Watts, 1918-1921

Rev. W .F.A. Ashton, 1921-1922

Rev. P. N. Caven, 1921-1922

Rev. A. E. Moorhouse, 1922-1926

Rev. J. N. Gould, 1926-1933

Rev. Gordon C. Raymer, 1933-1947

Rev. Milton G. Cook, 1947-1952

Rev. A. H. Johnston, 1952-1960

Rev. Lloyd J. Coates, 1960-1973

Rev. Chauncy McKay, 1973-1978

Rev. John R. Carbert, 1979-1987

Rev. Kenneth Bauman, 1988-1994

Rev. Allan Miller, 1996-

Rev. John Brown, 2003-2004

Rev. James Evans, 2004-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      Central United (first known as Methodist Episcopal Church)

 

Location:                    135 Wellington Street, St. Thomas, Ontario, N5R 2R7

                                    (519) 631-3503; fax (519) 631-7525

                                    website: http://www.centraluc.ca       e-mail: centraluc@bellnet.ca

                                    Office open normally Mon-Fri, 8:30 - noon

 

Date of Formation:    1874

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     Elgin OGS has a transcript of Marriages from 1897 - 1903

 

The United Church Archives lists the following records in their holdings:

 

Marriage Register (1896-1914; 1937-1938; 1914-1986)

Baptisms (1938-1959; index 1922-1929)

Burials (1937-1974)

Finance Committee Minutes (1912-1917)

Trustee Board Minutes (1919-1923)

Mortgage Records (1887-1923)

Financial Reports (1912-1925)

Membership register (1925-1939)

Historic Roll (1938-1989)

Board and Committee Minutes (1918-1933)

Session Minutes (1936-1975)

Stewards/Finance Committee Minutes (1928-1976)

Official Board Minutes (1934-1984)

Official Board Executive Minutes (1976-1985)

Trustees Property file (1986-1987)

Congregational Minutes (1957-1985)

Building committee minutes (1960-1961)

United Church Women Minutes (1975-1991)

Fidelis Unit and other records (1976-1981)

Sunday School Minutes (1922-1948; 1958-1969)

Music Committee minutes (1922-1932)

Financial Statements (1926-1931)

 

 

History:                       In May, 1874, Rev. A. E. Griffith was stationed by the Methodist Episcopal church in Millersburg, the early name for the east end of St. Thomas.  Prior to this, the pastor of the Westminster circuit held some services.  On Oct. 15, 1874, Central Church was dedicated.  When the building was twelve years old, an addition was made.  In 1897, the church was torn down and a new one was erected.  In 1951,  a Memorial Hall was built and dedicated. In 1960, an upper floor was added to the Hall for the Sunday School, nursery, parlour and offices for the minister and secretary.

 

Ministers:


Rev. A. E. Griffith, 1874

Rev. B. Palmer, 1877

Dr. Pilcher, 1878

Rev. R. C. Parsons, 1879

Rev. W. G. Brown, 1881

Rev. J. Philp, 1885

Rev. J. Whiting, 1888

Dr. Pascoe, 1891

Rev. C. T. Scott, 1894

Rev. H. W. Crews, 1898

Rev. Wm. Kettlewell, 1903

Rev. H. D. Moyer, 1907

Rev. David Rodgers, 1911

Rev. S. L. Toll, 1915

Dr. Henderson, 1919

Rev. Robert Hicks, 1922

Rev. J. H. Johnston, 1928

Rev. H. Stainton, 1935

Rev. A. W. Hone, 1937

Rev. Edgar J. Roulston, 1943

Rev. J. T. P. Nichols, 1956

Rev. D. M. Burns, 1959

Rev. W. W. Sherwin, 1964

Rev. Lorne R. O’Neill, 1971-1985

Susan McGregor, 1985-1986

John Barker, 1986-1991

George Trigger, 1986-1989

Lori Stewart, 1988-1991

Marjorie Smith, 1991-1993

Joan Bancroft, 1992-1999

Matthew Penny, 1993-1996

Wendy Noble, 2000-2005


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 

Name of Church:      St. Andrew’s United Church (first known as West Ave Union Mission)

 

Location:                    60 West Ave., St. Thomas, Ontario, N5R 3P7

                                    (519) 631-4558; fax - same

                                    e-mail: standrewsuc@porchlight.ca

 

Date of Formation:    1913

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Homedale United Church

                                    Talbotville United Church

St. Mark’s United Church

 

Records:                     Baptisms (1926 - present)

Marriages (1926 - present)

Burials (1926 - present)

Minutes (1926 - present)

 

The above records are in original format and located at the church office

                       

                                    The United Church Archives lists the following records in their holdings:

 

                                    Trustee/Official Board Minutes of West Union Mission, St. Thomas

                                    Marriages, 1942-1973

                                    Records, 1926-1986

 

History:                       In July 1914, a new building was dedicated and became known as “West Avenue Union Mission”.  This was a result of a few interested persons in the south-west section of St. Thomas anxious to see a church built to provide worship services for the young and old. In the spring of 1926, Rev. A. E. Menzies, who was the assistant minister at First United Church, along with a group of interested ladies, made formal application to the Presbytery for the admission of this group as a congregation of the United Church.  The dedication and inaugural service was conducted by Rev. Dr. Martin, of First United Church, and the name St. Andrew’s was suggested for this new church.  During Rev. H. Royal’s ministry (1947-1952), a hall was built behind the church to serve the Sunday School and other organizations. In 1953, Homedale United Church was built and opened, and became a charge with St. Andrew’s.  Later, St. Andrew’s and Talbotville became one charge, with the manse used at Talbotville. In 1958, a manse was purchased at 21 East Ave., and St. Andrew’s and Homedale again became one charge.  Later Homedale church was closed, and St. Andrew’s and St. Mark’s formed one charge.  During 1965, a complete renovation of the church building took place, and on April 4, 1965, the re-opening and dedication service was held.                    

 

Ministers:

 

                                    Rev. A. E. Menzies, 1926

                                    Rev. E. J. Wolland, 1927

                                    Rev. Tiffin, 1930

                                    Rev. M. M. Bennett, 1930

                                    Rev. Keith Love, 1931

                                    Rev. Dr. Clendennin, 1933

                                    Rev. W. D. Stenlake, 1935

                                    Rev. L. W. Reid, 1936

                                    Rev. W. A. Finlay, 1940

                                    Rev. A. E. Lloyd, 1941

                                    Rev. H. Royal, 1947

                                    Rev. W. G. Rose, 1952

                                    Rev. H. M. Wright, 1954

                                    Rev. C. A. Perkins, 1957

                                    Rev. Frank Ball, 1958

                                    Rev. J. L. G. Brown, 1961

                                    Rev. Gordon Merkley, 1967

                                    Rev. W. C. Tupling, 1973

                                    Rev. A. Lloyd Carber, 1978-1986

                                    Rev. David Moore, 1986-1992

                                    Rev. R. John Williams, 1992-1996

                                    Rev. Donna Bowman-Woodall, 1997-2005

                                    Rev. Joan Golden, 2005-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           United Church of Canada

 

Name of Church:      St. Mark’s United Church (formerly Homedale United Church)

 

Location:                    38 Aldborough Ave., St. Thomas, ON   N5R 4T1

                                    (519) 631-5705; fax - same

 

Date of Formation:    1951

 

Date of Closing:         active

 
                                    Affiliations:                St. Andrew’s United Church (1953; 1955 -   )

                                    Yarmouth Centre and Townline United Church (1954)

 

Records:                     contact church

 

History:                       The establishing of a United Church in the new Homedale subdivision became evident in 1951.  A lot was purchased on Churchill Crescent, about half way between Homedale Public School and the St. Thomas Elgin-General Hospital.  The congregation was to be connected with St. Andrew’s United Church, and the sod was turned for the church on April 2, 1953.  The church was named Homedale United Church.  A cement block structure, with a seating capacity of about 100, was dedicated on Sept. 20, 1953, with 65 charter members.  By 1961, the Homedale church was no longer large enough to accommodate the congregation, so the auditorium of the Elgin Court Public School was rented for services.  The site for a new church was chosen at the corner of Holland and Aldborough Streets.  A brick church, with a tower entrance, and a seating capacity of 500, was dedicated on Feb. 14, 1965, and named St. Mark’s United Church. A deconsecration service was held at the Homedale Church on June 20, 1965, which was then rented to the Public School Board.  In 1967, St. Mark’s was aligned with St. Andrew’s, but in 1969 became a one-point charge.

 

Ministers:

 

                                    Rev. W. G. Rose, 1951-1954

                                    Rev. Evan McLagan, 1955-1958

                                    Rev. Frank E. Ball, 1958-1961

                                    Rev. J. L. G. Brown, 1961-

                                    Rev. Gordon Merkley, 1967-

                                    Rev. Paul Cumming, 1969-

                                    Rev. Gordon Duncan, 1972-

                                    Rev. Eitel Lindenburger, 1979-1982

                                    Rev. Jim Izawa, 1982-1987

                                    Rev. Harold Ashton, 1988-1991

                                    Violet Sackrider, 1991-1995

                                    Rev. Gwyn Tucker, 1995-2000

                                    Rev. John Lindsay, 2000-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Centre Street Baptist Church

 

Location:                    28 Southwick Street (at Centre Street), St. Thomas, Ontario, N5R 3R8

                                    e-mail: centrestreet@execulink.ca

Date of Formation:    1879 (earlier congregation dates back to 1838)

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Broderick Memorial Chapel (1913)

 

Records:                     Marriages (1858 - 1890; 1896 - 1903; 1913 - 1922; 1923-1930; 1931-1937; 1937-1950)

Baptisms (at adult age)

Burials

Minute Book (1874 - 1894; 1894 - 1923; 1923-1941; 1941-1971)

Membership List (1891 - 1908 ); (1906 - 1923)

History

Pew Rents (1871 - 1874)

Annual Reports including Directory 1908, 1909, 1923

 

The above records are at the Canadian Baptist Archives, Hamilton

 

The following records are found on LDS microfilm number 0804328, items 4 to 6:

 

Membership & Minutes (1874-1894)

Marriages (1858-1890)

Register of Pew Rents (1870-1874)

 

History:                       Also known as (1) William St. Baptist; (2) First Baptist; (3) West End Baptist.

 

Centre Street Baptist church was organized as a result of the union of William Street and Zion Baptist churches in 1879.  A lot was purchased from Mr. B. Coughlin and Mr. G. Wegg at the corner of Centre and Southwick streets.  A church was built and opening services were held on Oct. 19, 1879.  In 1913, a frame building on Fifth Avenue was purchased from Charles Osborne and was remodelled as a Sunday School.  A new building was built on that site in 1916 and named after the late Henry G. Broderick, a member of Centre Street church.  In 1921, Broderick Memorial Baptist church was recognized as an organized Baptist church.

In 1956, a Christian Education building was added to Centre Street church and opened in 1957.  On April 22, 1962 the church steeple was destroyed by fire, and a new steeple was erected on October 19, 1962.

 

Further history:         “Early History of Baptist Work in St. Thomas 1837-1879 - Centre Street Baptist Church 1879-1979"

“125th Anniversary of Centre Street Baptist Church 1963"

(Elgin OGS has copies of both)

 

 

Ministers:

 

                                    Rev. Elmore Harris, 1879

                                    Rev. David Bovington, 1903-1906

                                    Rev. J. W. Hoyt, 1906

                                    Rev. O. C. Elliot, 1910-1917

                                    Rev. F. P. Dennison, 1918-1920

                                    Rev. J. R. Turnbull, 1920-1922

                                    Rev. Joseph E. Newnham, 1922-1926

                                    Rev. William Raithby, 1927-1939

                                    Rev. A. S. McGrath, 1939-1946

                                    Rev. N. F. Swackhammer, 1946-1953

                                    Rev. R. D. Harmer, 1953-

                                    Rev. Robert S. Campbell, 1980-1982

                                    Rev. Bruce R. Moorhouse, 1983-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Broderick Memorial Baptist

 

Location:                    73 Fifth Avenue, St. Thomas

Date of Formation:    1913

 

Date of Closing:         merged with Edward Street Baptist in 2004 to form New Hope Baptist

 

Affiliations:                Centre Street Baptist Church

 

Records:                     The Canadian Baptist Archives lists the following records for Broderick Memorial Chapel:

 

Minute Book (1916-1937; 1937-1954; 1954-1969)

Cradle Roll (1914-1922)

Membership Roll (1921-1968)

 

History:                       In December 1913, trustees of Centre Street Baptist church authorized the purchase of property on Fifth Avenue from Charles Osborne, on which stood a frame building. This was remodelled into a Sunday School.  In 1916, a committee was appointed to proceed with the erection of a new building.  Mrs. Pollock offered a loan of $5,000 at low interest but shortly after cancelled the mortgage.  The church was named after Mrs. Pollock’s first husband, Henry G. Broderick, who for many years held the office of church treasurer and was also a choir member in Centre Street Baptist church.  On June 23, 1921, Broderick Memorial Baptist was recognized as an organized Baptist church.  The church was closed in 2004 when the congregation merged with Edward Street Baptist church, which was re-named New Hope Baptist Church.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Immanuel Baptist Church

 

Location:                    John Street, St. Thomas

Date of Formation:    1891

 

Date of Closing:         1903

 

Affiliations:                joined Centre Street congregation

 

Records:                     -see listing for Centre Street Baptist church

-The Canadian Baptist Archives in Hamilton lists a History for the congregation in their holdings

 

History:                       In 1891, a group of members of the Centre Street church withdrew their membership to organize Immanuel Baptist church on John Street. The church building was probably located about where the Royal Canadian Legion now stands.  It continued until 1903, when the members joined again with Centre Street church or other denominations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      William Street Baptist Church

 

Location:                    northwest corner of William & Anne Streets (now St. Anne’s Place)

Date of Formation:    1839

 

Date of Closing:         1879 (joined with Zion Baptist church to form Centre St. Baptist )

 

Records:                     no known records

 

History:                       A Regular Baptist congregation was organized in St. Thomas in 1839 by 14 members who were a branch of the First Yarmouth (Plains) church.  Meetings were held in a very small building situated at the foot of Talbot Street hill where the Railroad bridge now stands.  On Feb. 18, 1845, a lot in the northwest corner of William Street and Anne Street (now St. Anne’s Place) was purchased from the William Drake Estate (1/5 acre, part of lot 2, concession 8 Yarmouth, or lot 47, South Talbot Road). Trustees were Septimious Davis, Jehiel Mann and Henry Black.  A frame church was built on this lot and the congregation prospered until 1879 when it united with Zion Baptist church to form Centre Street Baptist church.

The William Street church was sold in 1880 to Robert Blackwood and was used as a cider mill and afterwards was sold to a farmer named Millman of Dexter.

 

Further history:         “Early History of Baptist Work in St. Thomas, 1837-1979; Centre St. Baptist Church 1879-1979" (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Zion Baptist Church

 

Location:                    Flora Street, St. Thomas

 

Date of Formation:    March 3, 1875

 

Date of Closing:         January 22, 1879

 

Affiliations:                united with William St. Baptist church in 1879 to form Centre St. Baptist

 

Records:                     see listing for Centre Street Baptist church

 

The Canadian Baptist Archives in Hamilton lists the following records for Zion Baptist church:

 

Minute Book (1875 - 1879) (includes membership list)

 

History:                       In 1875, 31 members of the William Street Baptist congregation living in the east end of St. Thomas requested letters of dismissal from that congregation in order to form their own church.  The organizational meeting took place on March 3, 1875 at the Mechanic’s Hall and the congregation was named Zion Baptist Church.  A lot was purchased on Flora Street in the fall of 1875, and a frame church, 32' X 50' was built.  In 1878, meetings were held with the William Street church to consider uniting the two congregations and purchasing a site in a central location.  The closing sermon was preached in Zion Church on August 31, 1879.

The congregation then became part of Centre Street Baptist church.

 

Further history:         “Early History of Baptist Work in St. Thomas, 1837-1879; Centre Street Baptist church 1879-1979" (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Baptist

 

Name of Church:      Edward Street Baptist Church (now known as New Hope Baptist Church)

 

Location:                    21 Edward Street, St. Thomas, ON   N5P 1Y3

                                    e-mail: geo.bell@rogers.com

 

Date of Formation:    1925

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:                Sparta & Plains Baptist (1927-1945)

                                    New Sarum Baptist (1945- ?)

 

merged with Broderick Memorial Baptist in 2004 and re-named New Hope Baptist Church

 

Records:                     The Canadian Baptist Archives in Hamilton lists the following records in their holdings:

 

Church History (1936)

Minute Book (1943-1948; 1948-1957; 1957-1964; 1964-1970)

 

History:                       Edward Street Baptist church began as a mission of Centre Street Baptist church in 1925, when a lot was purchased on May 27.  A small grey stucco building was erected and opened on November 22, 1925.  On Sept. 3, 1936, the Edward Street Baptist church was organized with 36 charter members and received into fellowship by the Elgin Association of Baptist churches.  In February 1957, an adjoining lot to the church property was purchased and the sod for a new church was turned on Oct. 5, 1958.  The corner stone was laid on Feb. 15, 1959, and opening ceremonies were held in May 1959.

In 2004, the congregation of Broderick Memorial Baptist joined the Edward Street congregation and the church was re-named New Hope Baptist Church.

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           (formerly) Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

 

Name of Church:      Community of Christ

 

Location:                    105 Fairview Ave., St. Thomas, Ontario.  N5R 4X7

 

Date of Formation:    circa 1876

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     Baptisms (1876 -         )

Marriages (1876 -        )

Burials (1876 -            )

 

The above records are located at Community of Christ Library, The Temple, 201 S. River,  Independence, Missouri, U.S.A. 64051

                                    Website: http://www.cofchrist.org/templeschool/library

                                    E-mail: smcdonald@CofChrist.org

 

Minutes [no dates given]; located at the church in St. Thomas

 

History:                       The first church building of this congregation was located on Queen street, between Talbot Street and the Canada Southern Railway in the 1870's. A new church at 40 Balaclava Street and was built in 1890.  In 1971, it was sold as a private residence and a new church was built at 105 Fairview Ave.  The name of the denomination was changed in 2001 to “Community of Christ”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Congregational

 

Name of Church:      John Street Congregational Church

Location:                    John Street, St. Thomas

 

Date of Formation:    before 1884

 

Date of Closing:         not known

 

Records:                     no known records

 

 

            _________________________________________________________________

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Disciples

 

Name of Church:      Princess Avenue Church of Christ Disciples

 

Location:                    40 Princess Ave., St. Thomas

 

Date of Formation:    1906

 

Date of Closing:         1987

 

Records:                     see listing for St. Thomas Christian Church (Disciples)

 

History:                       The Church of Christ on this site was opened in 1906, and featured a beautiful collection of stained glass windows and ornate woodwork including curved pew seating.  The church was closed in 1987 when a new church was built on Wellington Street.  The building is now the home of the Elgin Theatre Guild, known as Princess Ave. Playhouse.

 
 
 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Disciples

 

Name of Church:      Park Avenue Church of Christ Disciples

Location:                    32 Park Ave, St. Thomas

 

Date of Formation:    circa 1864

 

Date of Closing:         early 1980's (merged with Princess Ave Disciples of Christ)

 

Records:                     see listing for St. Thomas Christian Church (Disciples)

 

History:                       The first Disciples of Christ church in St. Thomas was built on the east edge of town near the corner of Centennial Ave and Talbot Street probably in the 1860's. A deed exists, dated Sept. 27, 1864 for ½ acre, part of lot 10, concession 8 (or lot 55, South Talbot Road) from Jeremiah Bailey to M. Gilbert, et al, Trustees of the Disciples of Christ.

In 1891 a new church was built approximately 15 Park Avenue.  This building was moved further south on Park Street and still stands today at 37 Park Avenue.  A new church was built on the northwest corner of Park and Forest Avenue in 1954. In the early 1980's, the name of the congregation was changed to Park Avenue Christian Church, but amalgamated with the Princess Avenue Disciples of Christ church.  The Park Avenue church was sold to the Independent Bible Baptist Temple congregation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Disciples

 

Name of Church:      St. Thomas Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Location:                    451 Wellington Street, St. Thomas, Ontario. N5R 5K5 (519) 631-7490

 

Date of Formation:    1987 (from merger of Princess Avenue & Park Avenue congregations)

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Affiliations:               

 

Records:                     Baptisms (1864 - present) [there are gaps]

Marriages (1864 - present)

Burials (1864 - present)

Members Record Book (1875 - present)

 

The above records are in original format and are located at the church office

                                    contact Rosemary Goble, Archivist (see listing under Church Archives)

 

History:                       This congregation resulted from the merger of the Princess Avenue and Park Avenue churches and the closing of the Princess Avenue church to build the present church on Wellington street, beside the Elgin Mall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Salvation Army

 

Name of Church:      Salvation Army

Location:                    380 Elm Street, St. Thomas, ON N5R 1K1

                                    (519) 631-6202          

 

Date of Formation:    1883

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     all records sent to: Heritage Center, c/o Lt. Col. Stanley Armstrong, 2130 Bay Ave., Toronto, Ontario.  M4N 3K6

 

History:                       The Salvation Army Citadel building was first located at 17 St. Catharine Street, and was built in 1898. The building was demolished in 1965 and is now a parking lot.  The congregation moved to 170 Wellington Street, opposite Lydia Street and remained there until 1977 when a new church was built at 380 Elm Street.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Township:                  St. Thomas (Yarmouth)

 

Denomination:           Roman Catholic

 

Name of Church:      Holy Angels

Location:                    502 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, Ontario. N5P 1C2

 

Date of Formation:    1827

 

Date of Closing:         active

 

Records:                     Baptisms (1839 - present)

Marriages (1850 - present)

Burials (1850 - present)

Confirmations (1857 - present)

Communion Roll (1850 -present)

 

The original records are located at the Rectory in St. Thomas.  Microfilmed copies or transcripts are located at the London Diocese

 

The following records are found on LDS microfilm, on indefinite loan at the St. Thomas LDS Family History Library:

 

Film Number 1312034:

 

Baptisms (1866-1876; 1889-1910; with index)

Index of Baptisms (1839-1866)

Baptisms - some gaps (1839-1842)

Baptisms, Marriages, Burials (includes confirmations, first communions, and convert lists - 1850-18889)

Baptisms, Death & Burial (includes confirmations) (1889-1910)

Baptisms (1876-1889)

Marriages (1896-1910)

 

Film number 1312035:

 

Marriages (1896-1910) (copy)

Marriages (1910)

Burials (1908-1910)

Confirmations (1857-1910)

 

 

History:                       A deed exists,  dated May 31, 1831 for 3 acres, part of lot 3, concession 8 (or lot 48 South Talbot Road), from Archibald McNeal to the Bishop of Regiapolis & other, in trust for a Roman Catholic Church.

Holy Angels is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in Elgin County, having been officially established in 1831. The first Mass in St. Thomas was celebrated in 1827, and until 1831, visiting priests celebrated Mass about four times a year.  The first church was a frame structure built in 1831.  The three- acre property for the church was donated by Archibald McNeal, who had obtained the lot in 1816.  In 1871, a brick church was built to replace the frame structure.  Also on the property was a school which opened in 1878.  Behind the school a convent was built in 1897 for the Sisters of St. Joseph.  A cemetery was also established on the property, but in the 1870's was moved to the site of the present Holy Angels Cemetery on Sunset Drive. Construction of the present church began in 1911 and was opened in 1912. In 1896, the parish was comprised of the city of St. Thomas, and the townships of Southwold, Yarmouth, Malahide, South Dorchester, and the southerly part of Westminster township in Middlesex county, including the village of Glanworth.  Prior to the establishment of Catholic churches in Aldborough and Dunwich townships, Holy Angels also encompassed those areas.  Aldborough and Tillsonburg were added to the Mission in 1876.

 

 

 

 

 

Town:                                     St. Thomas

 

Denomination:                       Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada

 

Name of Church:                  Evangelical Missionary Church

 

Location:                                100 Redan Street, St. Thomas (519) 631-3180

 

Date of Formation:                1897

 

Date of Closing:                     active

 

Records:                                 contact church at above address/phone number

 
                                                History:                                   During August 1897, revival meetings in St. Thomas were held by the United Missionary Church in a large tent.  In October of that year, the “St. Thomas City Mission” was opened in rented premises.  In May 1898, the congregation moved to an abandoned store on Talbot Street and was known as the “Beulah Mission”.  In June 1903 they again moved to 618 Talbot Street (now the Greyhound Bus Terminal) and remained there for 19 years.  After renting space in the old Y.M.C.A. building and premises at 119 Ross Street, the congregation purchased property at 77 Ross Street in 1926.  The building there was remodelled and dedicated on May 30, 1926.  In 1948, the name of the church was changed from “Zion Missionary Church” to “Ross Street United Missionary Church”.  By 1950, lots had been purchased at the southeast corner of Redan Street and Woodworth Avenue, and a new church was built at 100 Redan Street.  The name of the church was changed to Zion United Missionary Church.  In 1993, the denomination changed its name to “The Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada”.  The St. Thomas congregation celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1997.          

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Other Places of Worship in St. Thomas

 

 

Free Reformed Church, 145 St. George St., 631-6800

 

The Free Reformed Church in St. Thomas was organized by descendants of immigrants from the Netherlands, who began holding services in the Broderick Baptist church on Fifth Ave in 1952.  Services were also held in the Orange Hall on Ross Street and St. Andrew’s United Mission Church on West Ave during from 1953 to 1954. In July 1954, the congregation acquired the vacant Hiawatha Street Baptist church, and the building was raised and a basement put in for Sunday School classes.  A new church was built at 145 St. George Street and the first service was held there on June 18, 1971.

 

The Church of the Nazarene

 

The Church of the Nazarene first held services in St. Thomas in 1941 in tents. Until 1947, the congregation met in rented premises including the Orange Hall at 622 Talbot Street; an empty store at 771 Talbot Street,  a bank building at Flora and Talbot, and the newer Orange Hall at 111 Ross Street.  Then a former grocery store at 35 Kains Street was purchased in 1947 and used for worship services until 1961.  A lot was purchased in 1961 at 206 Balaclava Street and construction of a church was started in 1962 and completed in 1963.  The church was closed in 1987 and remained vacant until 1994 when it was sold and renovated into a four-plex apartment building.

 

 

Hiawatha Street Baptist Church

 

It is not known how long this congregation existed in St. Thomas, but a frame church was located at 53 Hiawatha Street.  In 1954, the vacant building was rented to the Free Reformed Congregation, and after 1971 to the St. Peter’s Lutheran Fellowship Church.  Two more congregations followed: the Agape Lutheran Fellowship and Mennonite Gospel Fellowship Church.

 

 

Seventh- Day Adventist Church, (519) 633-4434

 

A congregation of Seventh-Day Adventists first began holding meetings in tents in St. Thomas in 1898.  In 1909 a small red brick church was built on the southeast corner of Mary and Curtis Street (80 Curtis Street), which served the congregation until 1991 when a new church was built at 380 Manor Road (corner of Sinclair Avenue).  The old church on Curtis Street was purchased in 1997 by a congregation known as “Living Hope Community Church”.

 

 

Independent Bible Baptist Temple, 32 Park Avenue (519) 631-3421

 

This congregation had its beginnings in the early 1970's in St. Thomas as the New Independent Temple, holding services in Elmdale Public School at 25 Elm Street.  Later, services were held at 117 Fairview Ave until the late 1980's when the congregation purchased the vacant Park Avenue Disciples of Christ Church, at 32 Park Avenue.  The building has since been enlarged.

 

New Apostolic Church, 112 First Avenue

 

This congregation began holding services in St. Thomas probably prior to 1950, and although property was purchased on First Avenue in the early 1950's, services were held in the Orange Hall on Ross Street until 1959.  Other rented premises were used until a church was finally erected in 1992.

 

Victory Christian Fellowship Gospel Temple

123 Churchill Crescent,(519) 637-2953

 

The church building at this location was originally built for the Faith (Fellowship) Baptist congregation in 1951, who worshipped there until 1970.  Victory Christian Fellowship began in 1988 and by the fall of that year, the congregation had grown enough to enable them to purchase this building from Faith Baptist.

 

 

 

Redeemer Lutheran Church

271 Elm Street, St. Thomas, ON N5R 5C5

(519)  631-4020

 

This congregation had its beginnings with services held at the Y.W.C.A. on Mary Street in 1948. Shortly after, services were held in the Seventh-Day Adventist church at 81 Curtis Street until 1960. The style for an “A”-frame church was derived from a church in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and was built in 1961 at 271 Elm Street.  It was dedicated on July 9, 1961.

 

 

 

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 436 Elm, 631-2641

 

This congregation first met at the Orange Hall at 113 Ross Street, and built a church at 436 Elm Street in 1958.

 

 

 

St. Thomas Pentecostal Assembly

144 Wellington Street, St. Thomas, ON   N5R 2R9

(519) 633-3810; fax (519) 631-3810

website: http://www.stpa.on.ca

e-mail: jdemoor@stpa.on.ca

 

The Pentecostal congregation began in St. Thomas in 1927 in the old Granite Arena on Metcalfe Street.  In 1934, they moved to a building on the northeast corner of East and Talbot Streets. Several years later, the congregation purchased property at the corner of Wellington and Ross Streets, and after the existing buildings were removed, a new church was built at 144 Wellington Street.

 

 

 

St. Anne’s Church Catholic Church, 20 Morrison Drive, 631-3640

 

St. Anne’s church began in 1961

 

 

 

Gospel Hall

1 Sunset, St. Thomas (formerly Erie St. location) Elgin OGS has history

 

 

 

Faith Baptist Church

345 Fairview Ave., St. Thomas, ON N5R 6M7

(519) 633-0976

website: www.path2faith.com

e-mail: office@path2faith.com

 

The congregation of Faith Baptist Church had its beginning in 1951 with 33 members, and held services in the Orange Hall on Ross Street.  On September 16, 1951, the first service was held in a newly erected church at 123 Churchill Crescent.  By 1966, the congregation had outgrown this building and a new church was built at 109 Chestnut Street.  During the 1980's, a daughter church was formed, known as Eastwood Fellowship Baptist Church, 400 Wellington Street.  In 2005, Faith Baptist Church again expanded by erecting a new church building at 345 Fairview Ave.  The church building on Chestnut Street was sold to the Gospel Fellowship Chapel.

 

 

Eastwood Fellowship Baptist

400 Wellington Street, St. Thomas, ON N5R 5T3

(519)  633-1872

website: http://efbc.net

e-mail: efbc@on.aibn.com

 

Good News Christian Centre, 3 Erie St. (179 Ross st.) 633-7516

 

 

First Christian Reformed

320 Elm Street, St. Thomas, ON N5R 1J8

P.O. Box 22039, 204 First Ave, St. Thomas, ON N5R 6A1

(519) 631-7730

website: www.firstcrcstthomas.com

e-mail: firstcrcstthomas@skynet.ca

 

History:  After the second world war, a great influx of Dutch immigrants came to Canada, seeking a better future for themselves and their children.  They established Christian Reformed churches and joined the Christian Reformed denomination. The First Christian Reformed congregation in St. Thomas was instituted on June 12, 1952 with 37 families.  Worship services were temporarily held in the YWCA building on Mary street. Five years later the congregation dedicated its own church building on Elm street, where it still worships. In 1985 the congregation had grown too large for its facilities and a second church was organized, the Fellowship Christian Reformed Church, which presently worships in their own church edifice on Elm Street East.  First Christian Reformed church celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2002.

(article in St. Thomas Times-Journal, May 18, 2002)

 

Fellowship Christian Reformed Church

 

641 Elm Street, St. Thomas, ON N5R 1K9

(519) 631-4422

website: www.fellowship-church.ca

e-mail: pastor@fellowship-church.ca

 

This congregation was formed in September 1985 as a second church from First Christian Reformed Church

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Subpages (22): View All
Comments